Ready to bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currymonster

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

Have just made my very first attempt at Plum wine. Started process about 5 weeks ago. Have racked only once but fermentation now seems to have ceased, have a reading of 1060.The wine is relatively clear and tasted good but still very sweet. Should I attempt to restart or do I bottle now ?. Was hoping for a drier taste. Wine has been kept in warm airing cupboard.

Many thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Please list your recipe with starting SG and methodology, so that we can be of more specific help to you.

Allie

plum wine

Hi,

Recipe was 5lbs plums, 3lbs sugar, 8 pints water, citric acid and wine yeast.

I'm afraid i didn't take a SG reading, i only discovered about those after reading info from this site!!! and by then the process was already under way.

I'm an ultra novice

Is your hydrometer accurate? you can test it in tapwater .. it should read around 1.000. Sometimes the bits of paper inside the glass move.

My suggestion would be to check the SG daily over a 3 day period and see if it drops any lower. After 5 weeks in an airing cupboard though.. I would expect this to be done, especially as it is clearing already. Trying to restart a stuck fermentation in a 1 gallon wine might be more trouble than it is worth.

unless you feel like a challenge of course .. :h

Allie

Latest posts

Back