My blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this is the first wine I made from base ingredients instead of a kit it was pitched on the 2nd of this month so less than a month ago. I was surprised to see the other day that its already crystal clear (a stunning colour) and tastes fabulous and very dry.

Its still plopping occasionally about once every 1-2 hours, if it continues and gets much drier it might not taste as good? Should I add anything to it? I dont see the point in finings as its so clear but will the yeast need stopping at some point with potasium or will it stop on its own when there is no sugar left for it to ferment?

I'm very pleased with it, I will be picking LOTS of blackberrys next year!! ;)

If it tastes very dry (but still good) there can't be much sugar left. have you tested the gravity? If it's 1.000 (or below) I'd rack it, de-gas it to help it clear a little further (you say it's clear but you'll be surprised at the thin layer that often clings to the demi john/carboy when you give a 'clear wine' an extra rack!;) ).

Age it for at least six months (racking as needed) and then consider bottling it for further aging.

My Blackberry wine was started in August from some of the best blackberries i've ever picked - I think the decent UK Summer this year helped :)

Thanx again. It was my late summer walks that inspired me to start making wine, unfortunately inspiration was a little late and I had slim pickings but managed to buy enough from the market to make a 1 gallon batch.
Next year I will be more prepared I intent to make lots of this, on my weekend walks I have noted which have lots of brambles. I guess the next UK crop is elderflowers?

Blackberry wine seems to be especially susceptible to oxidation. I made some fabulous wine, but didn't keep a close enough eye on the water in the bubbler. The air got in, and now there's a strange aftertaste from the oxidation.

Thanx again. It was my late summer walks that inspired me to start making wine, unfortunately inspiration was a little late and I had slim pickings but managed to buy enough from the market to make a 1 gallon batch.
Next year I will be more prepared I intent to make lots of this, on my weekend walks I have noted which have lots of brambles. I guess the next UK crop is elderflowers?
Unless you can get your hands on some rosehips before the UK frosts really kick in then yes it's the long wait until spring for the free 'flowers/fruits'. Elderflower IMHO makes a much better wine than straight elderberry. Elderberry is much better used as a 1 to 3 part ingredient with blackberry.

Latest posts

Back