Vineyard in the Granite State

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what's the purpose of the blue tubes? I assume it's for protection, but from what?
and...Where do you get them?

Updates 10/4/2013

Bottled 6 gal. of this year's dandelion wine. It turned out good enough to motivate me to make another batch(or two) next spring. It's really a lot like semi-sweet Reisling, but has tastes of grass, tangerine, peanuts(yes peanuts), has a little bite- these according to guests at a dinner party.

Racked a 6 gal. batch of Valpolicella, SG at 1.045.

Crushed and pressed a couple tubs of pears and got 3 gal. juice

Crushed and pressed a few bushels of Cortlands and Macouns for a 6 gal. batch of dry hard cider(Apfelwein).

Racked a batch of local Frontenacs, SG at 1.037

Drank a couple bottles of Jewell Towne's Marachal Foch- it's Excellent.
http://jewelltownevineyards.com/ :br

CoxCrusherPress.jpg

TubOfPears.jpg

PearJuice.jpg

PearPulp.jpg

Last edited:
Broke sod for another 100 vines.

4-18-2014. Unbelievably rocky. This was forest 8 years ago and was cleared with a D-9 and rock rake, but most of the 200 lb. or less rocks were just ground in with the tracks. Planted it up with prairie grasses and wildflowers. Marquettes and LaCrescents are going in here.

NewVineyard_4-18-2014.jpg

Planting 100 more vines- Marquettes and LaCrescents- in the vineyard we are now referring to as Middle Earth, It sits halfway between the Lower Vineyard and Upper Vineyard. Beautiful Mother's Day up here for planting. 72 degrees and bright blue. Hummingbirds have arrived- and the black flies. Leaves are popping out fast. Honeyberries are blooming. Moose are wandering down off the ridges to the swamps. Very rapid transition from winter to summer this year. Spring was kind of a 5 day season.

PlantingMiddleEarth_5-11-2014.jpg

MiddleEarthVineyardPlanted_5-11-2014.jpg

LowerVineyard_Tilled-5-10-2014.jpg

Honeyberry_5-11-2014.jpg

LaCrescents on 5/6/2014

3rd year vines are looking good and have a lot of young clusters.
Here's a picture of a LaCrescent yesterday.

LaCrescent Clusters5-6-2014.jpg

Cluster thinning

Cathy was out clipping and snipping and tying up. The 3rd year LaCrescents and Marquettes had about twice as many young clusters as they should.

TyingMarquettes.jpg

So far so good Greg. Some Rose Chafers now and the Japanese Beetles will be hitting soon. We inoculated the soil with beneficial nematodes last year, so hopefully that will put a dent in the populations this year.
Our second year Marechal Foch are really growing out of control. I'm having a hard time with figuring out tying and training. The first year Marquettes are out of their 42" blue tubes already so I've got to get the bottom wires in this weekend.

How are you doing with your post planting?

Happy 4th!

People are telling me that the 4th weekend is all about swimming and boating and picnicking.
I thought it was about planting trellis posts.
But I did get them all in.
Also a picture of our 1 1/2 month old Marquettes reaching for the wire.

TrellisPostsIn7-6-2014.jpg

Marquettes7-6-2014.jpg

Latest posts

Back