Dried Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike93YJ

Reaction score
recipe from C.J.J. Berry "First Steps in Winemaking", upped to 5 gal

Dried Peaches 10 lbs
Sugar ~13.75 lbs
Acid Blend 5 tbs
Water 5 gal
Yeast and Nutrient
Pectic Enzyme

Soak peaches for 12 hours in cold water, then place all in large pan, bring to boil, simmer for 5 or 6 minutes. Strain liquid off into primary fermenter, add sugar, nutrient, and enzyme and stir until all is disolved. Allow to cool to about 21`C, then add the acid and yeast. Cover primary and keep it at 21-24`C for 4 days, stirring daily, then transfer to secondary carboy and fit airlock. When wine clears and fermentation has finished, siphon it off the sediment into clean bottles and cork securely.

Questions:
1. Does it have to be cooked? Won't that make a 'pectic haze'?
2. After soaking, could I just press the pulp?
3. What yeast to use? We have red star Premier Cuvee, red star Cote des Blancs, and red star Montrachet on hand.
4. The sugar is approximate. We're going to aim for 1.085 SG

Any ideas or suggestions?

1. I wouldn't boil, "low-n-slow". Not sure on the haze, i haven't tried to reconstitute dried fruit before but i know if you boil you'll lose some of the aromatics of the final product.
2. I would lightly press whats left, after secondary fermentation is done. But, keep in mind - the more/harder you press, the more fine particles will be in the wine. Makes for a longer clearing time, and more fine lees to rack off of in the end.
3. I would go with Cote des Blancs, it brings out those fruity esters in the wine and finishes about 12-14% alcohol.
4. 1.085 :db

Last edited:
1. I wouldn't boil, "low-n-slow". Not sure on the haze, i haven't tried to reconstitute dried fruit before but i know if you boil you'll lose some of the aromatics of the final product.
I really don't want to boil. What do you mean by "low-n-slow"?
2. I would lightly press whats left, after secondary fermentation is done. But, keep in mind - the more/harder you press, the more fine particles will be in the wine. Makes for a longer clearing time, and more fine lees to rack off of in the end.
After secondary fermentation is done? I'm thinking of putting the fruit in a mesh bag in the primary, then removing the bag when I rack into the carboy. Wouldn't that be the time to press? Before it all goes into the secondary?
3. I would go with Cote des Blancs, it brings out those fruity esters in the wine and finishes about 12-14% alcohol.
:br
4. 1.085 :db

You could follow my method for dreid apricots which would basically work out the same way.

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/08/gedroogde-abrikozen-dried-apricots.html

Beware of preservatives and specific: sulphite.
Dried fruit may be heavily sulphited.
The dried fruit we have is homemade, I don't think it has been sulfited. Is there a way to tell if it has been treated with sulfites?

Luc

I'm hoping others have used dried fruit before and will chime in. :a1 Thanks Deezil and Luc for the suggestions so far.

Hey Mike just to let you know that if Luc recommends one of his recipes to you it will be one that you can take to the bank because it will be an excellant recipes I have used his before with great success

Hey Mike just to let you know that if Luc recommends one of his recipes to you it will be one that you can take to the bank because it will be an excellant recipes I have used his before with great success

OK, I'm going go go with Luc's recipe. Someone please check my math, converting from 10 liters to 5 gallons.

10 liters = 2.642 gallons times 1.89 = 5 gallons
1250 grams apricots = 44.125 oz times 1.89 = 83.39 oz or 5.21 lbs
375 grams raisins = 13.24 oz times 1.89 = 25 oz or 1.5 lbs
7 grams citric acid = .25 oz times 1.89 = .5 oz
7 grams nutrient= .25 oz times 1.89 = .5 oz
2 kilos sugar = 4.4lbs times 1.89 = 8.3 lbs (approx. sugar to 1.085 SG)

Our take on Luc's recipe

We're following Luc's recipe (mostly). Here's what we've done so far:

Day 1

Soaked 6 lbs dried peaches in cold water.

Day 2

Rinsed 25 oz white raisins in hot water, then soaked for a few hours in boiled water.

Later, ran peaches and raisins through smoothie machine, adding just enough water from the peaches to process. Added the mess to primary. Boiled the rest of the peach water and poured it in the primary, also. Allowed it to cool, stirred in 1 tsp pectic enzyme.

Made a yeast starter from 1 liter apple juice, 120 gram sugar, 2 gram yeast nutrient, cotes des blanc yeast.

Day 3

Stirred 3 times, the must wasn't liquid like Luc said his was, but less thick than the day before. Added water to 5.5 gal (about 1.5 gal.) Decided to wait another day to test gravity and pitch yeast.

Luc- what specific was your must? I don't want to add sugar without knowing what specific gravity to aim for.

Last edited:
Day 4

Stirred twice.

Day 5

S.G. was 1.050.
Calculated we needed 4 lbs. sugar to get to 1.085
Added 2 lbs. sugar now, will add 2 lbs. at first racking.
Pitched yeast starter.

Latest posts

Back