Help w/acid adj calc by blending please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cintipam

Reaction score
Hi all

I read all i could in the formulas etc and maybe the answer is there but I couldn't figure out how to calc for the answer I need. I recently bought a good PH reader so know for certain the ph of the wine I'm trying to correct by blending. I have 6 gals of wine with ph 2.63. I plan to make another batch of the same wine but reduce all acid in the hopes that it will blend to make a wine of hopefully 3.3 or so. Provided the amount will be equal (6 gals) can anyone tell me what the ph of the new batch would have to be to fix my first wine? If I have to, I'll make a double batch to fix it. I admit I made up the recipe myself before I had an acid test kit that was consistent. I call it Margarita mania and it's made with white cranberries and Limeade concentrate. I think I went overboard on both the acid blend and number of concentrate additions so that will be how I plan to lower ph of second batch.

Thank you all for being folks in the know, and Happy Holidays!!

Pam in cinti

It is not possible to predict the pH as it depends highly on the buffering capacity of the wine. There is no linear formula that will work with wine. The best thing would be to measure the TAs and target a specific TA for blending.

Thanks Greg.

I really like the flavor of this unusual wine, so now I have a good excuse to make another couple batches to help fix the first. I guess I'll make the first as low as possible and check it's PH, and do test blends with batch one to help figure out if an additional batch will be needed or not.

Very glad I asked instead of trying to wrap my head around all those formulas. Never really heard much about buffering before, so all my struggles would have been for nothing.

Pam in cinti

Correction Not as low as possible, but with as little acid as possible. Acid talk really means I have to watch my word choice carefully! Makes sense as I had to get adjusted to figuring lower number meant more acid, not less.

pinc

Latest posts

Back