Degassing a Better Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbw

Reaction score
Ok, I've got a drill mounted paddle ... a vacu vin ... and a handheld foodsaver to degass wine in glass carboys.

But, for safety's (and my back's) sake, I'm using Better Bottles ... and I know that I can't use vacuum to degass.

And I'm a little nervous about using a drill mounted paddle to degass a better bottle (because I might nick or scratch the inside due to my inherent carelessness.)

Short of racking over to a glass carboy to degass ... I'm wondering how folks are degassing in their Better Bottles.

On the Better Bottle website ... the manufacturer recommends "slapping the Better Bottle" to degass.

Here's what they say: "If the wine or beer has already been settled in preparation for racking, slapping the side of the Better-Bottle carboy will cause shock waves that will drive CO2 out of the liquid and hasten settling of low density suspended or clinging solids – without significantly disturbing the sediment on the bottom of the carboy."

Has anyone tried "slapping?"

I know another option would be to just let wine bulk age in the carboy and degass on its own.

But somehow, it sounds like fun to slap my Better Bottle.

I'm wondering how hard ... how often ... and does it really work?

LOL ! Slapping?
No it will not work. Stick the degasser in the bottle and start S L O W ! ! No need to go any higher. If there is gas in there it will come up. Have a glass or 2 before you do this to take the "edge" off ..LOL !

The slapping worked well for me when I was using the Better Bottles. Hit it hard with each hand on opposite sides and you will get a harmonic vibration going. Alternate a few minutes of this with some stirring with a spoon and it does an excellent job of degassing the wine.

I know, I know ... slapping sounds silly ... but that's what the Better Bottle manufacturer says to do.

Radarluv ... how hard do you slap it? Like patting a baby's bottom? Harder? I've kinda experimented ... and noticed like that ol' wave machines we experimented with in school, I see a "simple harmonic motion" ... but I'm not seeing the bubbles like I do degassing via vacuum in a glass carboy.

Thanks Tom ... I'll use the drill mounted degasser tomorrow ... and I'll use it slow. I'm just paranoid about hitting the inside of the Better Bottle with one of the paddles and scratching the carboy .... The Better Bottle folks recommendation (on its website) to slap the carboy tells me they really don't recommend using a drill mounted degasser.

The Better Bottle folks recommendation (on its website) to slap the carboy tells me they really don't recommend using a drill mounted degasser.

I'm not sure that "do not recommend" is the right phrasing. Has anybody actually asked them? They are trying to point out a "benefit" of the BB, ie something you can't do with a glass carboy. BTW, I tried slapping a BB and it didn't work for me. But I didn't know about the "slap opposite sides, vibration" thing.

I have also read about using a tennis ball in the dimple on the bottom. Again it didn't seem to work for me, but I was probably too gentle. Maybe banging the bottom on opposite side might work.

Steve

Thanks Tom ... I'll use the drill mounted degasser tomorrow ... and I'll use it slow. I'm just paranoid about hitting the inside of the Better Bottle with one of the paddles and scratching the carboy .... The Better Bottle folks recommendation (on its website) to slap the carboy tells me they really don't recommend using a drill mounted degasser.

Let us know how it works. I'm sure you should have no problem. Seams like some who use the drill dont pay attention when they use HIGH. I been using the drill for a LONG time and have never hit the sides.

CBW- I hit it pretty hard for a while, then stirred and repeated a bunch of times. Nothing beats vacuum splash racking into a glass carboy for me. The slapping/stirring worked well for me before I moved to glass.

I'm not sure that "do not recommend" is the right phrasing. Has anybody actually asked them? They are trying to point out a "benefit" of the BB, ie something you can't do with a glass carboy. BTW, I tried slapping a BB and it didn't work for me. But I didn't know about the "slap opposite sides, vibration" thing.

I have also read about using a tennis ball in the dimple on the bottom. Again it didn't seem to work for me, but I was probably too gentle. Maybe banging the bottom on opposite side might work.

Steve

One thing I'm planning to try, and I haven't yet, is a hand-held vibrator like those used for massage. It seems to me that it should work and actually compact lees rather than stir them up.

Latest posts

Back