Wild Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWMINNESOTA

Reaction score
Found a bunch of wild grapes around, varying from very ripe to maybe in a week or so, soooo, I picked a bushel or so of the very ripe one, always heard they don't make the best of wine, but, they make a great jelly!
smiley4.gif

20070805_183105_jelly_Small.jpg

Seemed a little out of place on the Ole fermenting table, but after tasting today, it was worth the sacrifice of space
smiley36.gif

20070805_183849_jelly1_Small.jpg

Wife liked it,I was lucky to get a shot before it was all gone, although she thought I was pulling a fast one on her, and giving her store jelly..
20070805_184220_jelly2_Small.jpg

Anyone tried wine out of wild grapes? There are plenty around, I might try a batch, still haven't decided.

Love to see someone not letting anything go to waste and liking it on top of it!
smiley20.gif
I would try to make a batch out of it if it were around my house. Cant seem to find any wild grapes around here.
Edited by: wade

I have a recipe JW. When I was a kid people made wine out of them. Can't tell you if it was any good though. It doesn't take very many grapes per gallon.

JW you can make wine out of the wild grapes. BUT... it's sort of like making wine out of regular cultivated grapes. There are as many wild varieties out there as there are cultivated ones. How do you know which ones are best? When you find some and they look good, taste some. How's the sweetness? How's the taste? If both are good and not to sour, go for it. Start with gallon batches so if it doesn't turn out good, no problem. Note where you get the grapes and if it turns out good in a couple years, make a bigger batch.

I found one variety last year that was very similar to Leon Millot, but more acid. I cut it some and ended up using Calcium Carbonate on it and sweetened a little in the end and it turned out very interesting.

As a starting point figure about 4 to 6 pounds per gallon(a lot less than with regular wine grapes).

Appleman, that was one of the first things I noticed, don't know if you can tell by the picture, but the jars on the right are lighter, redder, than the dark jars on the left. The darker jelly grapes were sweeter, if that make rhyme or reason. Both were picked in different areas. I decided to try a gallon batch with the sweeter grapes,did have to adjust acid down a bit, but took very little sugar to get sg to 1.095 (slightly less than 2 lbs.)Pitched yeast yesterday, going good today when I got home.Approx 4 lbs grapes.
20070806_164347_wildwine_Small.jpg

Nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose, but think I will stock up on these just in case!
smiley36.gif

That sure looks good! I hope you marked the vines somehow so if they turn out really good you can get some more next year. Maybe you could take some cuttings and get some going if they turn out really good. Nice find!
smiley20.gif

JW, you are so lucky!

Along the Erie Canal in NY where I'm from, there were always wild grapes growing all over the place. I would go for long walks along the canal just to pick them grapes. That was before I got into wine making, but I did make a lot of jelly out of them and they had the best grape flavor (true "grape" flavor), and made great jelly. I couldn't imagine what a wine would taste like.

I didn't sign up for winestock yet because I was going to go to NY for my 30th class reunion. As much as it would have been nice to see how well, or not so well everyone aged, I would really be going to get a load of those grapes. But not knowing when they would be ripe, We didn't make the arrangements to go there either, now I wished we had.........

Keep those pics coming........ and keep us posted.

That wine looks great and bet it smells awesome.

Hope you pick more grapes. feeze them and make more wine later....
post_button_smiley.gif

JW: If you set aside a bottle for me, Pick 6 bottles of anything I've got and it's yours! Seriously

Edit: And if I don't have it.......... I'll Make it!

Edited by: jobe05

20070808_111843_wildwineday3_Sm.jpg

Day three of the Wild Jobe Wine, smells incredible, if it taste half as good as the smell, it will be a do again wine.
20070808_112243_chokecherry_Sma.jpg

Racked the first ever choke cherry, also smells really good. More of these yet to be harvested,maybe tonight or tomorrow weather permitting.
20070808_112619_plum_Small.jpg

Racked Plum this A.M. also, don't know what to make of this one yet, going to be a "time will tell" batch.
20070808_112848_blackberry_Smal.jpg

Finally, racked the two gallons of Blackberry, had to get the Ole' marbles sanitized for the second one, get her topped up!
Now to contemplate whether grapes, Choke Cherry's, or Apples that were offered from a friend in neighboring town. So much to do, so few days off to do it!
smiley36.gif

"Wild Jobe Wine"

How humbling is that.........

Looks awesome, I can smell it from here........... sigh........

All the wines look great in their different stage og growth.

Isn't it exciting being able to get all the free wine making ingredients? I hope you have a big enough freezer! I love the sight of a full freezer, full carboys even better.

And full wine racks, the best! JWM, one of the best wines I ever made
was a scratch batch that I almost dumped down the drain at bottling
time cause it was NASTY! Give it time and it will come around, may need
a little sweetening to bring out thr true flavor though.

20070809_161120_wildthreegal_Sm.jpg

Think maybe today was the last foray out to get wild grapes, hot and muggy, and fingernails will be purple until October I think...So , figured a three gallon batch, freeze the rest. SG at 1.85, think I will leave her there and try Cote Des Blancs on this one. Everything ready,pitch yeast tomorrow. Working all weekend, time enough to decide whether or not to forage more fruits or call it a season with whats in the freezer. Knowing me, I'll be back out there Monday.
smiley36.gif
Kinda looks like a Wade sneeze at top of pic
smiley2.gif
its just a bubble.

JWM!
smiley7.gif

Looks great, If you have never used Cotes Des Blanc, be aware it works
well and every time for me but usually takes 2-3 days to get started
for some reason. I hope your starting SG was 1.085 and not 1.85!
smiley36.gif

wade said:
JWM!
smiley7.gif
Looks great, If you have never used Cotes Des Blanc, be aware it works well and every time for me but usually takes 2-3 days to get started for some reason. I hope your starting SG was 1.085 and not 1.85!
smiley36.gif

That dang ol 0 don't always wanna work, first my "e" was sticking, so I typed like you and meeeee...now the 0 don't want to cooperate, y'all haffta read between the lines until I get a new keyboard
smiley36.gif

Ant Duh spellin checksher donst werk ont nombers!Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

Back