Elderberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fozz

Reaction score
Whoo hooo, finally found some elderberries. I was down in the West Country last month and noticed the elderberries had gone rotten and thought I'd missed them this year. When I got back home in the midlands I found some on several bushes still ripening, they were there in abundance, I've never seen so many. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. My wife wants me to make an elderberry jelly, NOT A CHANCE, it's all going to make wine. It's by far the best wine I've ever made and tasted.
I guess I've just learned never give up, nature is not an exact science.

I agree with you and think elderberries are overlooked by many people. I think maybe modern urban dwellers aren't familiar with the plant. I have five gallons of elderberry mead fermenting at the moment. Five pounds or 2.5 kilos to the gallon. It does make great wine. Rich and full bodied.

I have to admit, I've never made mead. I think the time is arriving when I'll have to have a go at that. Any tips will be gratefully accepted. Thank you for the idea.

I have to admit, I've never made mead. I think the time is arriving when I'll have to have a go at that. Any tips will be gratefully accepted. Thank you for the idea.

Not too hard to make it into a mead. Substitute honey for sugar and ferment it down. Might take it a little longer to ferment and make sure you keep the nutrients up. Arne.

Currently have a 5 gal batch of elderberry going. Used Jack Keller recipe using raw berries. But after a bunch of research now worried I should have boiled the fruit! ???

Currently have a 5 gal batch of elderberry going. Used Jack Keller recipe using raw berries. But after a bunch of research now worried I should have boiled the fruit! ???

Don't boil the fruit, actually don't ever boil any fruit! You will cause a pectic haze that is very hard to get rid of.

Latest posts

Back