Wine is just rotten fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How wine has been made for thousands of years. A nice piece of historical video log.

For what it is worth, a lot of the super sanitized concepts are really a modern ideology. It does not necessarily make the final wine better, just decreases the chances of problems. Especially for those who have not grown up learning the skills from their family's traditions, and for hobbyists and modern wineries where any loss is a critical personal or commercial concern.

And let us not forget that vineyards where the grapes spend all their life, are not exactly sanitized either. ;)

And, yes, I have had wine made similar to this. Some was quite good. So one should not judge the process until one has actually tried some from a variety of producers.

Last edited:
That's a good one. No commercial yeast needed, I'm sure they have a strong resident "house strain". I bet they don't have any H2S issues using that copper transfer vessel.

That stuff would be sitting for at least a year so all the sediment drops out... Hopefully has a nice fairly high ABV too...

Cheers!
-johann

This is traditional winemaking in Cyprus and other Greek islands. The juice supposedly flows into earthen vessels in the floor for fermentation in some of the places. I can't tell from this if they have those vessels here as they seem to be scooping the juice out. Anyway, they first stomp the grapes, then press them, then beat the pommace with sticks to extract the last bit of juice.

I have no doubt the wine turns out good more often than not. But I do prefer a bit more sanitary conditions.

https://youtu.be/AVU1WhHLiQA

That is just bloody shocking given the efforts I've seen to maintain a clean sanitary environment! Wow. Makes me think I'm spending too much time fussing about cleanliness!

5 minute delayed reaction: I'm feeling slightly nauseated, not unlike Comey...

Latest posts

Back