Vacuum press using the allinonewinepump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vacuumpumpman

Vendor
Sponsor
Reaction score
I just tested my vacuum press using the allinonewinepump on Friday and everything went very smooth and painless. I am waiting to do a comparison with the same amount of grape skins and compare to a turn style press and the one I just designed and compare the differences - stay tuned for more info

let me know if anyone is interested - It will be alot cheaper and cleanable and faster than conventional methods - for home winemakers

What a tease! Yes, interested and anxious. Dangling that carrot on August 27th of all times!

Football coach talking to players right before kickoff:
"I've created a whole new game plan boys! Sure fire way to win and dominate every facet of the game!" ............

"After the game just tell me if you wanna hear about it". Just bustin chops bud.

You keep the needs of the 5-15 gal "basement dweller" in mind, often overlooked by others. Because "Not only are you the president,.......you're also a member." Can't wait.

As a frame of reference, I have been vacuum pressed around 15,000 pounds (over the past 3 years) using my Blichmann Wine Easy. Works excellent, so I know that vacuum fermenting is a viable technology. I purchased my set-up used, however pricing the Wine Easy set up that I have new would be $1,300 before tax & shipping.
Steve puts a lot of thought into everything he has developed, really looking forward to seeing what he has come up with.

As a frame of reference, I have been vacuum pressed around 15,000 pounds (over the past 3 years) using my Blichmann Wine Easy. Works excellent, so I know that vacuum fermenting is a viable technology. I purchased my set-up used, however pricing the Wine Easy set up that I have new would be $1,300 before tax & shipping.
Steve puts a lot of thought into everything he has developed, really looking forward to seeing what he has come up with.

Very true. I remember checking out all the videos of Blichmann system and thinking how impressive it was: A fermenter/press dual function. But $800+ for the vessel, $200+ for the pump setup, and $200+ for the piston is not chump change.
I love that Steve is not just hanging his hat on his pump, but always has the wheels spinning for more ideas. From the PET setup, to the filter setup, to the "headache eliminator" (as I call it) I should start calling him the Thomas Edison of home winemaking.

I used aronia berries for my first test - it worked well. We pressed about 200 pounds in about 30 minutes. We did it all in the kitchen , with no mess at all.

The real test will be with grapes - so I am waiting for my grapes to come in and test it. I will then take the skins that got vacuum pressed and put them into a turn style press and see how much more juice comes out of the previous vacuum pressed must.

Does anyone else have a better test ? the entire procedure will be video taped.

I know of the Blichmann Wine Easy - way too expensive for the normal home winemaker - This will be priced affordable that anyone will be able to purchase it.

Hint = there is still no lifting of heavy buckets or primary fermentors

Currently "downnashore" relaxing on the beach with my family [emoji41].
"What are smiling about?" they asked.

"Remember the vacuum pump you bought me for my birthday? Well you see, the dude who created it came up with a new pressing system use for it. Originally I wasn't sure if it was just a way to use the pump with another piece of expensive equipment, or if it is a more affordable alternative. But he just said-------"

They cut me off--"This is boring. Get off your stupid phone and build a sandcastle with us."

They don't share my excitement. Time to turn off this "time waster" and have some fun.

The real test will be with grapes - so I am waiting for my grapes to come in and test it. I will then take the skins that got vacuum pressed and put them into a turn style press and see how much more juice comes out of the previous vacuum pressed must.

Does anyone else have a better test ? the entire procedure will be video taped.

I know of the Blichmann Wine Easy - way too expensive for the normal home winemaker - This will be priced affordable that anyone will be able to purchase it.

Steve, don't forget to do qualitative measures as well.

Just because you can get more juice out of the must, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Even if you can get more, is it adding to the quality of the wine? The last juice out of a basket press that is cranked to the max will not have the quality as a good vacuum pressing. I would say the Wine Easy does leaves some juice on the table (meaning, in the must), but I would say that it is 2%-5% of the total juice.

Between @4Score and I, we have a best of show, best wine, best of class, golds, a dozen or so silvers. Between us, I think there is only one wine, made with this press that has not received an award in 3 years. Not bragging, I think the gentle press has a lot to do with it. It creates a softer wine, less tannins, no seed cracking, which makes the wine less astringent and approachable sooner.

Steve, don't forget to do qualitative measures as well.

Just because you can get more juice out of the must, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Even if you can get more, is it adding to the quality of the wine? The last juice out of a basket press that is cranked to the max will not have the quality as a good vacuum pressing. I would say the Wine Easy does leaves some juice on the table (meaning, in the must), but I would say that it is 2%-5% of the total juice.

Between @4Score and I, we have a best of show, best wine, best of class, golds, a dozen or so silvers. Between us, I think there is only one wine, made with this press that has not received an award in 3 years. Not bragging, I think the gentle press has a lot to do with it. It creates a softer wine, less tannins, no seed cracking, which makes the wine less astringent and approachable sooner.

How would I do a qualitative measures as well.

I agree with you @Norcal as far as the quality of the juice pressed. However, the purpose of this demonstration I think is to show that the method is equivalent to other methods. If so, then in practice, we can (presumably) always back off and press more gently.

I think if you press in a usual method, then remove and "fluff" the cake you can usually press some more juice out the second time. This would be my concern with the test method as I understand it. You might underestimate the adequacy of the first press if you assume that anything pressed out the second time would have been pressed out the first time around if only it had been done with the usual method.

You could control for this by dividing the grapes into two batches, one pressed the usual way, one pressed with the Ai1 vaccuum press. Then take both of the cakes, handle them the same way, press the second time with a standard press. If you get the same yield with both samples, then the Ai1 logically yielded the same amount as the standard press first time around.

How would I do a qualitative measures as well.

Ferment all together, press 1/2 each way. Let settle for a day. Do blind tastings with no less than 3 people and see if you can taste the difference.

It would be interesting to age them separate as well and see if there is any difference over time. I would get there will be a noticeable difference up front, but that the differences narrow as it ages and the tannins round out.

"Liking" if only for downnashore.

That one was all for you Paul.

And I would not be concerned with leaving an extra ~liter of pressed wine in the cake anyway. Better safe than sorry. And way better than the adverse issue of pressing too hard.

I think most would agree that as long as this creation serves its purpose without hurting the wine, is clean and easy as you say, and is a nice affordable alternative to the more expensive equipment, then it would be a very ideal addition for all the "carboyers" out there.

I can't believe Steve is tempting us like this. Come on man give it up.

I was too excited not to mention to you all !

You know that I do alot of research and studies prior to posting anything - like all my accessories I now have available.

I am looking for someone in my area who is making dragons blood or something similar that I can use the press and take video

It really is nice to have a loyal following !

Latest posts

Back