WineXpert Selection Luna Bianca

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, how dark was your LB? This just seems a lot darker than the one I did a couple years ago.

I did a comparison of the LB a few nights ago and found that it was noticeably darker than my Selection New Zealand Chard, but the same color as the commercial Butter Chardonnay. Also, it has been bulk aging next to my Eclipse Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, and I have never needed to label the two due to Luna's rich color. I hope that helps.

My final SG is about 0.996. Sorbate or no? I didn't care for the taste in the last one I did with sorbate, but it did fade over time. I'm honestly not feeling the sorbate for this one. Is there any real possibility that fermentation could start back up at such a low level of residual sugar?

My final SG is about 0.996. Sorbate or no? I didn't care for the taste in the last one I did with sorbate, but it did fade over time. I'm honestly not feeling the sorbate for this one. Is there any real possibility that fermentation could start back up at such a low level of residual sugar?

Did you put the whole f-pack in primary, or just a fraction. I guess I REALLY mean, did you add any of the f-pack post-fermentation?

Did you put the whole f-pack in primary, or just a fraction. I guess I REALLY mean, did you add any of the f-pack post-fermentation?

I made this pretty much the way I made it the first time. A little more than half of the Fpac went into the primary. The rest went in at clearing. Everything with this kit is going as I thought except the color is just darker.

If you added half the fpac during clearing, you're going to need the sorbate. Refer to the "I did a bonehead thing" thread.

Edit to add: If those bottles warm up enough to wake up the yeast, you'll likely end up with CO2 and sediment in the bottles. Probably not a whole lot, but probably more than you'd like as well.

Last edited:
If you added half the fpac during clearing, you're going to need the sorbate. Refer to the "I did a bonehead thing" thread.

Edit to add: If those bottles warm up enough to wake up the yeast, you'll likely end up with CO2 and sediment in the bottles. Probably not a whole lot, but probably more than you'd like as well.

It's due for a racking in a few days. I'll add sorbate then and check my FG. It will sit for about 6 months in bulk before I put it in the bottle. The junk usually falls out after that long.

We opened another bottle this week; this is my favorite Chardonnay that I've tasted (not that I'm a big Chardonnay drinker or have had a bunch, but I love this one). The kinda-weird-flavor (sorbate?) is gone and the small amount of oak cubes I added have integrated well, and it's just incredible. I will be making another batch this winter, and I'll try really hard to stretch out what I have left of this one until that one is ready to drink. YUM!

So based on the glowing reviews of this kit here, I started one about 2 months ago. I mainly made this for my son, as he likes oaky chards, and I'm trying to preserve my barrel aged Australian. I added about 3/4 of the F-pac during fermentation. Added the balance of the F-pac at stabilization with a resulting FG of 0.997. Bulk aged for a little over a month and bottled last weekend.

It is very young, but anticipating a visit by my son, I had to taste it and opened a bottle. I'm very disappointed! It tastes fake (like fake news?). It has a rather chemical-like aftertaste, kind of like the taste of the F-pac. While difficult to describe, the aftertaste is like that from those Sweet Tart little candies, although much less pronounced. And it is not the sorbate, 'cause I didn't add it (may regret it though). My question is, has anyone else experienced this and does it go away with bottle age? I've made quite a few chards and I've never tasted anything like this. I may have to just give it all to my son if he likes it and write it off.

Sorry for the negativity, but I'm pretty discerning about my chards (make that wine in general).

Honestly, I think you may have rushed to the bottle.

I know what you're saying about the fake taste (which fades over time, btw). But, 2 months is hardly long enough to allow the wine to degas on its own.

If your son doesn't like it, check to see if it's properly degassed (poof test it). If it is, just leave it alone for another 6-12 months and tried another bottle.

I am familiar with incomplete degassing, and I don't believe that is it. I stir and vacuum degas several times. It is encouraging that you say the "fake" taste fades though. Thanks.

I have to agree. I also added ~3/4 of the f-pack to primary, and I bulk aged (with battonage, even) for ~8 mos. It had a very slight artificial taste, and I agree it seemed like it came from the f-pack (which I tasted directly). But by the time we kicked that batch, it was nearly undetectable. No one seemed to complain about it!!! :dg

I haven't done this specific kit, but if I read your post correctly, you tasted it after bottling it just one week ago? Maybe bottle shock? If that's the case, time is your friend (as with many things in winemaking, I'm finding...).
I try to let newly bottled wine sit at least a month before sampling. Even then, I'm not sure I get a clear picture of what the wine will become with some age. That's usually not the goal, though. I just can't stand the suspense and am dying to get a taste of what I made!

I made this wine a couple of years ago, at about the same time as Paul. Unlike Paul, I added the full F-pac after fermentation in accordance with the kit instructions. My notes indicate that, on bottling day, the wine tasted of orange and artificial sweetener. Two months later, I opened a bottle and those flavors were gone.

Were I to make this again, I would follow Paul's example of adding half the F-pac to the primary fermenter and the rest after fermentation is complete. I'm not fond of a very sweet wine but my wife is. So the next batch will be made for me.:h

Thanks guys for your reassurances that this "fakey" taste with go away. I'm a little leery of kits that come with an F'pak now though.

Greg

Y'all are liking this kit way too much. I looked at Label Peelers today and they are sold out☹️

Y'all are liking this kit way too much. I looked at Label Peelers today and they are sold out☹️

It's BAAAAACK!!! In stock and marked down to $88. For those of you keeping track, that's about $3.50/bottle. Mine is still aging in the carboy and I'm saving for the fall harvest. Otherwise, I'd be picking one up instead of posting right now.

Ugh, LP shipping is killer to the west coast. I'll get mine from FVW when I make another batch this winter.

Got mine from LP , but unfortunately I am not able to start it for about 2 weeks. (Going to Asheville)

How much oak did you add?
Thanks

In addition to the kit oak dust in primary:

I added about 2.5oz of M+ American oak cubes after racking it off the sediment from clearing. I let it bulk age on the oak for 2 months before bottling.

My notes at bottling say it was creamy and buttery, but light on oak. The bottle I opened last week was perfectly oaky for me, and from the post you quoted, I thought it was good then too, so it must have melded nicely after bottling time. I've read you're supposed to go a little oakier, as it'll fall back, but that may be more relevant for a red that will age rather than an early drinking white.

For what it's worth, I will follow the exact same steps and timeline when I make this again at Christmas.

Latest posts

Back