Is it too early to start thinking about 2017 season?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started making wine the beginning of the year and now have one batch bottled and about 50 gallons aging. To me this is a lot of wine. Especially if I continue at this pace. I don't drink but a bottle maybe 2 a week so there will be a lot of gifting. What do those of you that make hundreds of gallons a year do? Are some of you commercial wineries?

I give away a lot of wine, have friends and family that consume it regularly but, the quantity is still more than can be sustained, before I run out of space to store it. I swear I’m cutting back next year!

I started making wine the beginning of the year and now have one batch bottled and about 50 gallons aging. To me this is a lot of wine. Especially if I continue at this pace. I don't drink but a bottle maybe 2 a week so there will be a lot of gifting. What do those of you that make hundreds of gallons a year do? Are some of you commercial wineries?

I made much more than I consumed the first few years. Admittedly, my consumption increased a bit as well. But my goal was to get to a 2 year supply. I'm there now and started to cut back production about 18-24 months ago. But I've since realized that making wine is as much, if not more, fun than drinking it. My dad now kicks in each year for 4-5 cases of his own and has offset a chunk of my decrease in production. One of my sisters is also interested in joining in the fun. So I'm not sure I see production necessarily dipping too much.

I swear I’m cutting back next year!

Yes, and if anyone out there actually believes that, I have a nice bridge to sell you.

I made much more than I consumed the first few years. Admittedly, my consumption increased a bit as well. But my goal was to get to a 2 year supply. I'm there now and started to cut back production about 18-24 months ago. But I've since realized that making wine is as much, if not more, fun than drinking it. My dad now kicks in each year for 4-5 cases of his own and has offset a chunk of my decrease in production. One of my sisters is also interested in joining in the fun. So I'm not sure I see production necessarily dipping too much.

It is amazing how much wine one can go through!

- I am always expected to bring wine to most all family functions and holidays. Heck, Thanksgiving alone can cost me 2 cases. Another example is the 3 day music festival I attend each year. Even that requires 2 cases of wine.
- I send wine off to competitions. Most require two bottles per entry.
- Crush and pressing, with 60 - 80 people attending, can cost me 4 or 5 cases.
- Bottling parties (getting together to bottle wine) can cost me another 3 or 4 cases (combined)

The way I see it, just normal "giving away" like above costs me 14 or 15 cases of wine. I have even started on what wine I actually consume over a year.

Latest posts

Back