RJ Spagnols 2017 Restricted Quantity (RQ) Program Cut off Oct.12 2016

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You beat me to it, I was about to post. All the wines are from France this year.

They are:
-Cabernet Sauvignon
-Merlot
-Chardonnay
-Sauvignon Blanc

Got the email from FVW a little bit ago. Not sure what to think about these. Unique, in that you don't see too much from France in the kit world. But at the same time, nothing intriguing.

Got both the Cab and the Merlot. Going to make each one, age in a barrel for 6 months each. Let sit in Carboy til they are one year old.

At that point, I'm going to experiment with a little blending. Probably somewhere in the 15 - 20% of each in the other.

Bottle, and let sit another year, when time is up, I'll have a Right Bank Bordeaux, and a Left Bank Bordeaux.

Kind of excited about it actually. Don't blend ever with my kits.

Got both the Cab and the Merlot. Going to make each one, age in a barrel for 6 months each. Let sit in Carboy til they are one year old.

At that point, I'm going to experiment with a little blending. Probably somewhere in the 15 - 20% of each in the other.

Bottle, and let sit another year, when time is up, I'll have a Right Bank Bordeaux, and a Left Bank Bordeaux.

Kind of excited about it actually. Don't blend ever with my kits.

It's hard to believe for some people, but the easiest way to accomplish this is simple. Example - if you have 6 gallons of each, take 1 gallon from wine #1, add it to the wine #2, and then take 1 gallon from the new wine #2 blend, and transfer it back to wine #1. You will now have roughly an 86/14 split in each.

Question - if one wants to blend two different wine varietal kits that have the exact same instructions, same yeasts, etc., can one just blend them right from the start?

It's hard to believe for some people, but the easiest way to accomplish this is simple. Example - if you have 6 gallons of each, take 1 gallon from wine #1, add it to the wine #2, and then take 1 gallon from the new wine #2 blend, and transfer it back to wine #1. You will now have roughly an 86/14 split in each.

Question - if one wants to blend two different wine varietal kits that have the exact same instructions, same yeasts, etc., can one just blend them right from the start?

Ahhhh NO.

The entire point is to blend WINE, not Juice. Before its wine, you won't know how they taste blended together and what percentage works best.

The RQ kits are 18L this year. (Previous years -16L)

I'm down for the Chardonnay

cheers

The literature reads like the cut off is about whether you get the free bag of corks. Before the cut off, yes. Otherwise, no.

I agree - this aren't making me go, "oooh, that's awesome." Then again, I love French merlot. Does it come loaded with goodies like the Eclipse? Skins?

The literature reads like the cut off is about whether you get the free bag of corks. Before the cut off, yes. Otherwise, no.

I agree - this aren't making me go, "oooh, that's awesome." Then again, I love French merlot. Does it come loaded with goodies like the Eclipse? Skins?

Doesn't look like any of them have skins. I'm definitely looking elsewhere for any LE's this year. Already ordered the Rose, and will likely get the WE Vermentino. I'm waiting on that one though because LP charges your card when you order, as opposed to when it ships. I don't like that. The Kookabura red from Kenridge looks pretty good too.

@Boatboy24
What i do is pick the mail check/MO when I check out. I always pay when they ship.

Last edited:
I have made the Kenridge Showcase French Cab 16L kit with no grape pack and I love it .
I ordered the RQ French Cab and I think it is going to be excellent , 18 L kit with dried grape skins .

I have made the Kenridge Showcase French Cab 16L kit with no grape pack and I love it .
I ordered the RQ French Cab and I think it is going to be excellent , 18 L kit with dried grape skins .

Zalai,

Where did you see this kit had skins? On the FVW site is says no skins or grape pack. This would be much more interesting to me if it did have skins.

Latest posts

Back