WineXpert WE Selection Luna (avec battonage)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started my Luna tonight. Dropped half the FPac in the primary along with an amazing 120 grams of oak dust... I was wrong, there's no bag in this kit. The other half of the FPac is in the fridge now.

I may not do any more oak in the finish.

OG came in at a respectable 1.092. I would have liked a little more. But, 13%+ ain't bad.

I started my Luna tonight. Dropped half the FPac in the primary along with an amazing 120 grams of oak dust... I was wrong, there's no bag in this kit. The other half of the FPac is in the fridge now.

I may not do any more oak in the finish.

OG came in at a respectable 1.092. I would have liked a little more. But, 13%+ ain't bad.

If I had it to do over again, I would have frozen the remaining concentrate. Then I wouldn't have to worry about it spoiling!

Varis,

According to my notes, the specific gravity of my batch was 0.992 prior to putting in the f-pack and was .998 after. The wine temperature at the time of the readings was 76 degrees.

I've noticed, over several posts in various threads, that my SG readings seem to be less than those read by others when the same wine kit is being made. I can only conclude that SG readings may be dependent on the particularities of the SG gauge being used, or the eyesight of the owner. :D As long as my SG readings are in relationship to previous readings, I don't worry about the starting number being few thousands off a kit's targeted SG. This of course assumes that the range of my readings is similar to the relationship between the readings in the instructions; they generally are.

Ron

Thanks, I am then following kit's directions and adding f-pack at the end, hoping for ~1.000 or so.

Just started this kit. :HB
Saving the whole f-pack to back-sweeten at the end.

SG = ~1.094
PH = ~3.62
Juice Temp = ~70F

Kits are pre-balanced but this one seems to be a bit on the high side for the PH (low acid) when they're usually in the 3.2-3.3 range.
I think you guys noticed a bit of tartness in the f-pack flavor and wonder if that is how at the end the acid will be balanced out.

EDIT: Added oak dust before yeast.

Pitching D47 now....:db

Last edited:
5 or so days into the primary and we're down to 1.02. It's a cool 68* in the basement. So, I anticipate this taking a little longer to get down to 1.00.

The directions say this won't ferment down to dry. With due respect to Peter Mills... Challenge accepted. I'll transfer this when it gets around that 1.00 SG, then ferment in a secondary till I reach 0.992 +/-.

From there, we clear, add the other half of the FPac and bulk age for 6 months.

5 or so days into the primary and we're down to 1.02. It's a cool 68* in the basement. So, I anticipate this taking a little longer to get down to 1.00.

The directions say this won't ferment down to dry. With due respect to Peter Mills... Challenge accepted. I'll transfer this when it gets around that 1.00 SG, then ferment in a secondary till I reach 0.992 +/-.

Good to hear your progress.

Mine went down to 0.996 in primary. (It was a lot warmer when I made it!) I have not even checked the SG in secondary. Since I am aging sur lie, there has not been a good reason for me to check it! Perhaps I should take a reading some day "just because."

As I recall, from when I made this kit several years ago, it won't get much lower than what they say. I believe there may be some non fermentable sugars present. But good luck. I think I left it sit for three weeks.

Mine went down to 0.996 in primary. (It was a lot warmer when I made it!) I have not even checked the SG in secondary. Since I am aging sur lie, there has not been a good reason for me to check it! Perhaps I should take a reading some day "just because."

I'd be interested to compare two kits, one sur lie and one not, and see what that adds.

Mine went down to 0.996 in primary as well.
I decided to stabilize and add f-pack plus clearing agent last night. SG went to ~1.005

Mine went down to 0.996 in primary as well.
I decided to stabilize and add f-pack plus clearing agent last night. SG went to ~1.005

Good to know, Varis. I have two questions.
-Do you know what your SG was after secondary, i.e., just before adding the F-pack?
-Upthread, you said you were "following the directions." Forgive me if you have stated this before, but did that mean you did not put any of the f-pack in primary, and added all of it after stabilization?

Thanks!

Good to know, Varis. I have two questions.
-Do you know what your SG was after secondary, i.e., just before adding the F-pack?
-Upthread, you said you were "following the directions." Forgive me if you have stated this before, but did that mean you did not put any of the f-pack in primary, and added all of it after stabilization?

Thanks!

yes Paul, I added the whole flavor pack after stabilizing.
Initial SG ~1.094.
Final SG ~0.996

In my case, however, I always leave the ferment in the same plastic bucket since start to finish, I do not transfer to "secondary" but instead leave it in the same open container until I know it is completely dry and not going any lower. I usually pay attention what the instructions say what would be the final average SG. I think the instructions read that the Luna Bianca only goes down to 0.998

Hope that makes sense.

Ok, so the directions say this shouldn't get below 0.996 SG. But, we're already down to 0.990ish today, with another 8 days to wait if we're going to stick with step 2 directions.

wow, you really push those kits to their "limits" :h:h j/k

I couldn't wait that long and stabilized mine at 0.996

So, here's a question that I need a relatively quick answer to: what is in the Luna FPac?

I went to get the other half out of the freezer, but found out that my wife threw it out by accident. I need a replacement quick.

I've seen descriptions that say it's pure Chardonnay juice.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
It may not be quick given the weekend, but I'd try contacting Winexpert to see what they'd recommend. Don't know if they'd be able to send out another f-pac but may be worth a call. Their contact info is: 800-263-4790 or [email protected].

I'm certainly no expert on f-pacs since of the 18 or so kits I've done, only the first had one, but doesn't seem like a delay in adding would be problematic?

I called my LHBS and told them the situation. I was surprised when they said they were able to get a replacement FPac from their distributor. It will be there on Wednesday. That's only a say past when I should add all the fun stuff and stir.

Latest posts

Back