Other Cornucopia Kit not Fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danml

Reaction score
Started this kit on 1/26/13 and there is zero signs of fermentation. Added sugar and appx. 1/2 of fpack to get to 1.080. Temp has been between 72* and 78* Directions call for 68 to 77. Other then adding sugar and fpack in the beginning, I have followed the instructions..... at this stage there is not much to go wrong....bentonite, juice, yeast, except for the added sugar and fpack. Wanted to try this kit because of the price from Amazon and the reveiws. Non I am not so sure. I have done 20 plus Island Mist kits this way without any problems.
Don't want to loose this juice. I have no idea of what to try to get things going. 4 days without any activity seems a little long.

Anyone with any suggestions ????? Because I'm lost for ideas.

Started this kit on 1/26/13 and there is zero signs of fermentation. Added sugar and appx. 1/2 of fpack to get to 1.080. Temp has been between 72* and 78* Directions call for 68 to 77. Other then adding sugar and fpack in the beginning, I have followed the instructions..... at this stage there is not much to go wrong....bentonite, juice, yeast, except for the added sugar and fpack. Wanted to try this kit because of the price from Amazon and the reveiws. Non I am not so sure. I have done 20 plus Island Mist kits this way without any problems.
Don't want to loose this juice. I have no idea of what to try to get things going. 4 days without any activity seems a little long.

Anyone with any suggestions ????? Because I'm lost for ideas.
"zero signs of fermentation"? To quote myself.. "Visual signs of fermentation are highly overrated".

How about an updated sg?

Steve

Probably a dumb question...are you sure you added the yeast?

Second question...did you add the sorbate? [Check what additives remain.]

Final point...This is a Cornucopia kit. I have no experience with them. Perhaps there is more sorbate in the F pack than the other brands, and that is hindering the fermentation.

Steve

Yes the yeast was added. Only other thing added was the bentonite and part of the fpack of course.
Sorbate in the fpack and how much........don't know either, but good point.

Just checked and the stabilizer and sorbate are still in the box.

I am afraid I am going to loose this.

You may want to try a yeast starter with warm water and a couple spoons of honey. After fermentation starts to kick start step feeding small amounts of your wine to it. There is a thread on here somewhere. After 1.5 hours or so if you are still fermenting good dump it all in your bucket and cross your fingers.

Latest posts

Back