Gew ready to rack off lees?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebronze

Reaction score
I have a batch of MM Gewerztaminer juice that has reached 1.002 SG. I racked last night to secondary, including the lees. It is still slowly bubbling. I am going away for a few days, should I rack again off the lees and add meta?

Hi, did you rack "off" the gross Lees or racked "with" the gross Lees?

Also, was this a kit or from grapes?

I normally rack "off" the gross Lees (leaving the Lees on the bottom of the primary, racking only juice) a few days after pressing, going from primary (buckets) to carboys to finish fermenting. If you racked and brought the gross Lees with the juice I guess there's no hard letting it sit a few more days until you rack "off" the Lees again.

I think sitting on gross Lees too long can effect the taste. How long? Good question...

Others will chime in with additional comments.

I have a batch of MM Gewerztaminer juice that has reached 1.002 SG. I racked last night to secondary, including the lees. It is still slowly bubbling. I am going away for a few days, should I rack again off the lees and add meta?

Personally, I think I would want to rack off the lees before going away, but wouldn't add anything yet.

If MM is Mosti Mondiale

I would say stay with directions.
The first rack is with the lees and when it's finished (.996 or less for three days) then rack it off the lees, degas and add finings.

I racked with the lees last night, then let it settle until today and racked off the lees. It was at about 1.002, so it is resting in the cold area with an airlock. Added meta so that if I want to hold it there for a while it will be fine. I like Gewerztraminer with some residual sweetness, so maybe the 1.002 will get me there, if not I can always backsweeten. Thanks to all who have responded and Happy Thanksgiving!

Latest posts

Back