RJ Spagnols Italian Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winery

Junior
Reaction score
I was given over the weekend a rjs kit Italian Amarone
from a friend that never used it.It is dated 20101103
which means it is a year out of date.The bag inside the kit
is swollen where it is tight inside the box.Do you think it
can still be used? or should i throw it out??

Winery:

That kit is now 2 years old. As a Big Red, I would say it would be OK to make. Past it's prime but still should be OK.

However, the swollen bag indicatets that something is wrong, so I'm going to say a strong NO.

Out of interest, which RJ Spagnols brand? (You should ALWAY ALWAYS specify this when asking about kits.)

Steve

It should still be okay even if it's a year old, but it sounds like it may have started fermenting if the bag is swollen tight. When you push your finger into the bag does it feel really firm or can you easily push into it?
I have had a kit that started fermenting in the bladder and still used it and it turned out okay, but you have to act quickly and be careful when you open it. I used the kit yeast and I believe it overcame whatever wild yeast had started.
By the way the date on the box is the date the kit was produced, not the expiry date.

It should still be okay even if it's a year old, but it sounds like it may have started fermenting if the bag is swollen tight. When you push your finger into the bag does it feel really firm or can you easily push into it?
I have had a kit that started fermenting in the bladder and still used it and it turned out okay, but you have to act quickly and be careful when you open it. I used the kit yeast and I believe it overcame whatever wild yeast had started.
By the way the date on the box is the date the kit was produced, not the expiry date.

The bag is so tight my finger cannot push in on it.It is as tight
as ball filled with air.If i open the bladder will i be covered in juice??

In that case I would open it up and if it smells, looks and tastes okay, start it. If this is the Cru Select Amarone you will probably find a bag of raisins under the juice bag - this is intended to be added to your primary.
When I opened mine, I was surprised that it did not spray all over, but you never know!!

In that case I would open it up and if it smells, looks and tastes okay, start it. If this is the Cru Select Amarone you will probably find a bag of raisins under the juice bag - this is intended to be added to your primary.
When I opened mine, I was surprised that it did not spray all over, but you never know!!

This is a Primeur kit.I have done a couple of these kits in the past.I will take
your advise and open it outside tuesday.Thanks Dugger!!

sounds like its a re-gift

place in a bucket larger than the package and get a pin/needle and i recommend you prick the bottom of the bag ..make only a pin hole to see what develops...if it wants to get out of control you will be able to place the bag easily over the pin hole and let the weight of the bag suppress what wants to comeout

For all we know it may be completely fermented into a great wine and all you have to do is prick the bag and bottle it! Keep us posted.

sounds like its a re-gift

place in a bucket larger than the package and get a pin/needle and i recommend you prick the bottom of the bag ..make only a pin hole to see what develops...if it wants to get out of control you will be able to place the bag easily over the pin hole and let the weight of the bag suppress what wants to comeout

Opened it in the sink went off without a hitch.I slowly pulled cap loose
and could hear a hissssssssssss.Then once opened juice smelled fine
fermentation had definitly started.I added an extra packet of the same
yeast that came with the kit to overpower the wild strain that is active.
Only time will tell now.I will let you all know how it turns out.Thanks for
all the replies!!

Winery, sounds to me like you have a potentially great wine there. Did you check the SG? Did you taste the juice? This is really interesting. Keep us up to date on the process. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back