Bulk Aging vs Bottle Aging in Eurocave

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwatson

Reaction score
I have read many a thread on the debate of bulk aging vs bottle aging. Since I live in Florida the temperature inside the house averages 70 in the winter and 80 in the summer. My wife likes the house hot, I like it cool. Since I travel, the temperature in our house yo yo's up and down. The humidity also varies drastically.

I know bulk aging is necessary for such conditions. I just purchased a winecellar cabinet from eurocave on ebay. As a result, I can bottle and keep my wine at a constant 53 degrees with proper humidity.

For my circumstances, would it be best to only bulk age for 3 months, filter, then bottle straight to the eurocave? Since the temperature/humidity will constant in the wine cabinet, are their any benefits to bulk aging in such a "fluctuating home environment" after oaking and clearing are done?

one of the reasons to bulk age for a longer period of time is to make adjustments as you go along, think about this, if you bottle early that is what you will get, if you bulk aqe and at 5 months you need to make adjusments you still can.

I definitely agree that bulk aging is best. But I am concerned that the large temp fluctuations in my house could hurt the aging wine in the carboy. Am I being OCD?

In all reality the wine will age faster in a bottle with cork. Synthetic will not age. Temp wise I'd say bulk 3 months and then after it's clear bottle age it. Those tema are great for fermenting but not so good for storage.

The other thing about bulk aging for only 3 months is that kits that come with grape packs in them will continue to drop fine sediment usually beyond 3 months timeframe so just be aware.

How wide are your temp fluctuations? Stick an indoor/outdoor thermometer on the side of the carboy with a folded kleenex for insulation from the outside room temps and held in place with a piece of duct tape and then see what kind of swings you are actually getting from day to day.

Also the longer you wait before bottling the more you will know what that wine is going to taste like as it settles down. If it needs more oak, you can add a touch. It its really thin, you could add a bit of Tancor Grand Cru Tannin. Lots of possibilities the longer it stays in the Carboy.

I bulk age and use grape packs when provided.
Most of my kits, after 3 months bulk aging still drop some sediment.

If bulk aging with an air lock, you can still blow off at least some of the CO2 that after degassing might remain in your wine. Once bottled, you are stuck with the CO2 and sediment and there are no adjustments you can make.

There seems to be some confusion here. Maybe on my part. But as Far as Bulk Aging or bottle aging times. I figure from The time that the wine is finished and cleared. But it sounds like some are talking from when they started the batch. 3 months from start to finish is no where long enough. Maybe Skeeter Pee. (Never bottle before a wine is clear) So as i stated earlier. If the wine is finished Then its a matter of personal preference for bottle aging verses bulk aging.

Alot of guys (& gals) on here do not have enough storage space for 10-15 carboys sitting around aging so alot myself included will bottle age. (Only after the wine is finished)

Temps are not as crucial its the extreme fluctuations that are bad.

On a side note warmer temps are good for fermentation, clearing, & degassing!

As far as degassing with bulk aging, is it a good idea to bulk age at 55 degrees F for a year or so or is that temp too low for degassing the wine?

As far as degassing with bulk aging, is it a good idea to bulk age at 55 degrees F for a year or so or is that temp too low for degassing the wine?

Jim, are you talking about the natural degassing that occous with bulk aging or degassing using a stirring device or a vacuum pump?

Jim, are you talking about the natural degassing that occous with bulk aging or degassing using a stirring device or a vacuum pump?

I'm talking about the natural degassing over a year or so with bulk aging.

That's what I thought you meant. I don't think you want to bulk age your wine in the 70's when you can do it at cooler temperatures. I think you'll be just fine for natural degassing. IMO

There seems to be some confusion here. Maybe on my part. But as Far as Bulk Aging or bottle aging times. I figure from The time that the wine is finished and cleared. But it sounds like some are talking from when they started the batch. 3 months from start to finish is no where long enough. Maybe Skeeter Pee. (Never bottle before a wine is clear) So as i stated earlier. If the wine is finished Then its a matter of personal preference for bottle aging verses bulk aging.

Alot of guys (& gals) on here do not have enough storage space for 10-15 carboys sitting around aging so alot myself included will bottle age. (Only after the wine is finished)

Temps are not as crucial its the extreme fluctuations that are bad.

On a side note warmer temps are good for fermentation, clearing, & degassing!

I agree with you regarding when aging starts, but other people start the clock as soon as the wine falls still.

If you are bulk aging for 6months+ then there is really no need to degas as it will degas on its own.

I usually age my wine for six months then bottle and what don't get drank will still continue to age one thing that I do before bottling I still degas just as a precaution

Back