Adding spices to wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trolo

Older Member
Reaction score
Hello all I have a wine that i want to add some spices tis the season. I wasn't sure if to just add directly or to use cheese cloth or some other bag?
has anyone done this with say ground cinnamon directly and wait for it to drop out?
Thanks for any input
tom

Thanks I did think about that and was planning on that. Just trying to not make any mistakes

Hi Trolo. Not sure that you can really make "mistakes". The challenge is simply in dealing with whatever one does. Using cinnamon sticks means that it is easier to remove the cinnamon when you think enough of the flavor has been extracted and permeates the wine. Adding powder may mean that the spice is less fresh and clearing the wine is not going to be as simple... If trying something one way does not work then one (quickly) learns that that way may not be the way to go next time but I do agree that learning from the experiences of others can be a very useful strategy:b

Julie,
I have a concord/Niagara blend. It's sweet and I was thinking of spicing it up for the holiday

I use cinnamon sticks in bulk aging for my apple wine but have not tried any other spice or cinnamon with any other wine.

I'm a big fan of using whole spices in my fruit wines. Cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and vanilla beans can add a lot of character when used in moderation. I've never tried to spice a grape wine, but you never know. You may inadvertently discover a dynamite combination!

Thanks all I will keep you updated what I do and how it turns out

There's a winery in northern Ohio that makes an outstanding Concord/Niagara. I drank the last of it some months ago :(

Interested in how your spice experiment works out!

Cinnamon sounds like a good choice for the Concord/Niagara. Please let us know what you do and how it turns out.

I remember now a winery in CT that sold a spice packet designed/meant to be added to ones wine. I think I remember them recommending it be tried with one of the white wines they featured.

Update... Called Wine Mulling Spice and available on Amazon.

Last edited:
I have added cinnamon sticks, anise seed and clove to different wines. As mentioned above, spices can be a nice addition to some wines.

Hello all I have a wine that i want to add some spices tis the season. I wasn't sure if to just add directly or to use cheese cloth or some other bag?
has anyone done this with say ground cinnamon directly and wait for it to drop out?
Thanks for any input
tom

I think "tis the season" was a typo, but an appropriate one for spiced wine. As all winter, but especially at Christmas time, it will be "tis the season" for mulled wine.

And for mulled wine my wife and I add the spices whole and heat the wine slowly like a tea to get the spice flavors into the wine. That is, we add the spices to normal wine fresh each time we make the mulled wine. Then just pour through a strainer into a cup. A nice drink to enjoy on a snowy evening waiting for Santa to arrive.
:snw:xmas

Latest posts

Back