Name for Sparkling Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobbie

Junior
Reaction score
Sales of Prosecco sparkling wine throughout the World have risen by an astounding amount in the last year. The success of Italy’s prospering export has been causing a stir between publicans and Prosecco DOC Consortium with them placing this Prosecco sparkling wine and serving it on tap. They wish to protect the name whilst selling it only in a bottle.

Prosecco is registered as a “Protected Designation of Origin (PDO), a status it was granted in 2009. This means the name “Prosecco” cannot be used as a Brand on our sparkling wine on tap, even though the wine we would be supplying on tap is exactly the same as the Prosecco in a bottle.

The practise of serving “genuine” Prosecco on tap arguably does not mislead the consumer in respect of the origin of the product, nor does it involve serving an imitation wine that exploits the reputation of the protected Prosecco name.

So looking for a name or Brand for our sparkling “Prosecco” wine, which we are unable to use, that may come from Italian origin. Frizzenti is a Brand already in use.
Many thanks in advance.

My first thought is "Piccolo Spumante" that is since Prosecco is lightly sparkling the wine is small=piccolo in sparkling. But I believe that Spumante may be branded also.

Thank you Salcoco and indeed Spumante is branded. Please continue kindly with your thoughts.

Nice to communicate with a wine "veteran" from Kansas. I'm over in Ireland.

Salute

Nobbie

Latest posts

Back