Hello from Detroit!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome - well you made me go out and take some pictures of mine.

Here is my carboy rack:

20090830_171849_carboys_001.jpg

This is an industrial shelving unit from Costco. When I finally get the rest of the c- - - off of the top shelf and bottom shelf it should hold approximately 16 carboys and then some smaller ones. By the way, I keep all my carboys with k-meta in them. Then all I have to do is slosh around and drain and I am ready to go.

And I have these waiting:

There are 7 - 5's; 1 - 7; 4 - 3's and 4 - 2.8's squatties mostly Mexican and Italian all in their own boxes.

20090830_172220_carboys_002.jpg

and in process:

20090830_172612_carboys_004.jpg

Thanx to a grocer friend I now have 24 cases. Each will hold 16 bottles for a total of 384 bottles. They are screwed to wall and will have a piece of 1/32" foam sheeting between each layer of bottles.

20090830_173122_carboys_005.jpg

Then I will be full - and with 2009 season soon to be upon us uh oh!!

hope that this helps.

rrawhide

Wow - thanks for all of those ideas. Looks like you have everything well in hand. I assume the fishing rods are for a different hobby? Or maybe not...

did you see all of the dust on the rods and reels?

I need to get them out and use them again - been quite awhile!!!
sad to say - - -

gonna go fishin'

thanx for the 'prod'

later

rrawhide
smiley17.gif

Jim,
I like how you "dress" your carboys with t-shirts. Do you do that so when you talk to them, you don't feel like your talking to yourself or inanimate objects? (I'm really just thinking of my own sanity, encouraging and scolding my carboys like they are my children.)
smiley29.gif

Bart

I was thinking the shirts would go nicely with baseball caps myself...

I actually talk specifically to the yeast when I talk to the carboys. When I started homebrewing, I was a little self-conscious about it (although - hey, people talk to plants to help them grow, right? and all those yeasts are working hard!). But then a friend of mine was cleaning a carboy after bottling, and as the yeast cake bits swirled down a drain she called out to them cheerfully: "Bye guys! Thanks for all the beer!" It's good to know we're not alone.

There's also a story in Papazian's book, "Microbrewed Adventures," about a professional Italian brewer who was experimenting with piping in classical music to the fermenting room to see if it improved the beer quality (results were not reported).

Ellen, welcome to the web......I mean Forum!!! Sounds like some interesting wines you have going!! We love pictures!!
smiley4.gif

BartReeder said:
Jim,
I like how you "dress" your carboys with t-shirts. Do you do that so when you talk to them, you don't feel like your talking to yourself or inanimate objects? (I'm really just thinking of my own sanity, encouraging and scolding my carboys like they are my children.)
smiley29.gif

Bart,

The lighting in the basement (from the previous owners) is provided by two dual-bulb fluorescent lights. Since the carboy glass isn't tinted, it's like sitting clear wine bottles out in the sunlight. I figured I wouldn't tempt Fate when it came to the wine. Anyone that has worked under fluorescent lights in an office environment will see how they bleach things just like the sun.

- Jim

Latest posts

Back