Apple or apple cider???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kujo66

Reaction score
Whats better..Apple or apple cider??? About to start one of em... Im leaning toward cider since 'tis the season.

I prefer apple cider, too. I am originally from Pennsylvania and we used to get a lot of great apples this time of year. BTW, it you want to try a great drink made with apple cider, try a "Pennsylvania Stone Fence," which is 1.5 oz of Vodka to 5 oz of Apple Cider with some fresh ground cinnamon and nutmeg. We used to take this on Hay Rides in the Fall, or so they tell me! :ib

I make both. Apple Cider Wine to use as a starter for SP, then I spice it while aging for a "Spiced Apple Wine" Getting 3 bushels of apples this week for true Apple Wine, 15 gals. I don't press. Just decore & cut into 8-12 pieces & put in a straining bag. Once fermentation has started I squeeze the bag 2-3 X a day, after 5-6 days there isn't that much pulp left. I find the taste is different between cider & apple wine. Apple stronger & if left to age 18 mo. it's awesome! [ I put 1/2 on oak] BTW my cider comes from a local orchard & is "flash pasteurized" with no preservatives. Roy FightingTown Creek Wines In the middle of Ga. Apple country

I prefer apple cider and until last year pressed my own. The price of cider apples got so expensive it was much cheaper to buy the cider and start there.

Toss in a variety of apples and a few pears to sweeten it up if you are pressing your own. You should add a little abscorbic acid to prevent browning.

During the aging time I added several cinnamon sticks to the carboy. About 1 per gallon works well.

Apple cider...

Im planning on using Monicas cider recipe posted on here...anyone try it??

Latest posts

Back