Tips on Steam juicer usage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaronh

Reaction score
Looking for tips on using the steam juicer. The do's and dont's. Been looking out the window like a kid waiten for theUPS guy to come
smiley36.gif
. I got a 18/10 gauge Stainless Steel Steamer/Juicer by Norpro.
<UL>
<LI>Steamer insert (11 quart/10.5 liter capacity)
<LI>Juice container (4 quart/3.8 liter capacity)
<LI>Water pot (8-1/2 quart/8 liter capacity)
<LI>Silicone tube
<LI>Stainless steel clamp
<LI>Tempered glass lid
<LI>Recipes and instructions
<LI>$159.95 178.42 after shipping and handleing</LI>[/list]Edited by: Aaronh

Your going to love it Aaronh. Most fruits will juice better if first frozen for abou 2 weeks. The only exceptionbeing apples. I have never tried freeezing them first myself so they may evn juice better frozen. I always add some sugar to my fruit too. About1 cup per batch. It will probably cover it in yourinstructions but in case it doesn't, I always pour the first quart or so backover the fruit being steamed.Also, make sure you don't let your water pot run dry . I modified mine to help with this process and it works great.

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1933&amp;KW=Steamer%2FJuicer&amp;PN=6Edited by: Waldo

I concur with Waldo... You will love your juicer.

Pick all the fruit you can this fall....you will surely run it through your steamer and make some great wines.

What fruits do you have???

I do a lot of apple juice for breakfast drinking and wine making...it is the slowest juice to come forth compared to berries...but it is well worth it.

I usually do a couple batches of any juice, then put the pulp together and run it through for another ½-1 hour....You'll catch on quickly.

Your recipe/instruction book will be a great help.

Feel free to ask any questions along the way.

I echo Waldo's tips and would add that I typically pour the hot juice over the berries at least a couple of times since it seems to accelerate the juicing process. I also have found that pre-slicing certain fruit, such as apples and pears speeds things up.

Finally, the juice can be canned and stored by simply withdrawing the juice directly into canning jars pre-heated to 200 degrees in your oven. Simply affix lids and rings. I typically store the juice until I am ready to make wine on my schedule.

Have fun!

Thanks all. I have choke cherrys in the freezer, 12 pounds. Waiten on the apples and crabapples.

I'll second what Waldo said - DO NOT let the water boil away and run the steamer dry!

We inadvertently did that last winter, and had quite the spectacular "catastrophic failure" as a result:

- the inner sandwich layer of metal in the base of the water pan melted and oozed out all over the stove element

- dripped down under the element (electric) ring and onto the wiring

- set the wiring on fire under the range top

- and toasted the stove beyond hope
smiley19.gif

I did however get a beautiful new self-cleaning oven with ceramic/glass cook top out of the deal (but I do not recommend this approach to kitchen appliance upgrade).
smiley36.gif

Fortunately the vendor I bought my Meju-Liisa from carries replacement pans and parts, and was able to ship me out a new base water pan right away.

All the other tips - freeze the fruit, pour the first quart of juice back over, those are really good ones too.

Great tips...

Pelican...glad to see you back here...It's a great place to spend some time....All the worries of the World are less important when we wine together.

I echo Waldo's tips and would add that I typically pour the hot juice over the berries at least a couple of times since it seems to accelerate the juicing process. I also have found that pre-slicing certain fruit, such as apples and pears speeds things up.

Finally, the juice can be canned and stored by simply withdrawing the juice directly into canning jars pre-heated to 200 degrees in your oven. Simply affix lids and rings. I typically store the juice until I am ready to make wine on my schedule.

Have fun!

I'm new to this steam juicer community and mine did come with much of a book. Super generic in fact .. I tried apple with a little added sugar & cinn. and the jar actually fermented. I came home from another trip to town for more jars..to find a strange hissing in my kitchen.. the cap of my jar was no longer flat it was crinkling and juice was running out from under. So I got scared and never add sugar or anything anymore...
I don't know what went wrong It was the only 1 that did it..Have any idea ?

Back