Fermentation won't start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowlin4reds

Reaction score
I followed the recipe With an exception. I didn't have a yeast slurry to donate so I made a yeast starter. It was in for 48 hours and no fermentation bubbles at all. I made a new yeast starter yesterday and still nothing. What can I do to get this stuff started? It's 10 gallons ( 2 5 gallon batches ) and I don't want to toss it.

I followed the recipe With an exception. I didn't have a yeast slurry to donate so I made a yeast starter. It was in for 48 hours and no fermentation bubbles at all. I made a new yeast starter yesterday and still nothing. What can I do to get this stuff started? It's 10 gallons ( 2 5 gallon batches ) and I don't want to toss it.

It's a pretty acidic must which can make things slow. Make sure your temps are around 75, and give it some time, yeast can take a few days to get going, especially under difficult conditions. What yeast are you using?

Perhaps too much chlorine? Let your starter water sit out over night.

I'm assuming you are following the temperatures in the rehydration protocol and have a starter solution that contains plenty of sugar and nutrient and then you are only pitching it into the must when the temperature difference is only 18 degrees?

what is your starting sg? And there will be times when it will take more than 48 hours to start, I have it up as much as 4 days before fermenatiotion has started. Also, you need to stir this a couple of times everyday

Perhaps too much chlorine? Let your starter water sit out over night.

I'm assuming you are following the temperatures in the rehydration protocol and have a starter solution that contains plenty of sugar and nutrient and then you are only pitching it into the must when the temperature difference is only 18 degrees?

I live in florida, central florida actually. The yeast starter was about 105 Degrees when i made it. I let it sit for 2 hours before I introduced it. So both were room temp, about 77degrees.

I don't use tap water for my wine or yeast, spring water only.

Starting gravity was at 1.070 per the recipe.... I had a hard time doing this, I usually start every thing at 1.120. yes I like my wine with a kick.

My first batch I used a blueberry lees, it was incredible. I have friends that aren't wine drinkers and they want me to bring this stuff to parties.

Last edited:
I've always started my yeast that high. Maybe the high temp plus the acidic must is killing it off. I'll re-pitch it tomorrow with a lower temp yeast starter.

Follow up: It took 9 days to start fermenting, then it went off into beast mode!! That was on 1/19. I measured it last night and it is .990!!

[

Just me but when I started my skeeter pee I mix up every thing then I opened 2 packs of K1V-1116 and just poured it in took my drill and mixed till foam was standing, been bubbling every since, at first fermenting now degassirng, been two months fixing to do my first vacuum rack, no slurry no fancy any thing all my wines I just dump on top then mix, I do let sit 24hrs before pitching yeast to let K Meta
To leave my must,,,
Dawg

u

[/B]

Latest posts

Back