Just started 30lbs blueberry wine. Calculation question to start...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took some readings tonight and I am very surprised.

S.G.: 1.030
pH: 3.62
T.A.: 4-5 g/L

I was expecting a movement in pH of 0.200 and I got a movement of 0.700. Should I be shocked? What am I missing here?

I think I am decently happy, though now I am wondering if the pH value is too high? I normally see people shooting for 3.300 or so.

Took some readings tonight and I am very surprised.

S.G.: 1.030
pH: 3.62
T.A.: 4-5 g/L

I was expecting a movement in pH of 0.200 and I got a movement of 0.700. Should I be shocked? What am I missing here?

I think I am decently happy, though now I am wondering if the pH value is too high? I normally see people shooting for 3.300 or so.

That seems extreme for a half dose, did you completely degas your sample before testing the pH?

pH changes are logarithmic, not linear like TA. Also pH change is affected by buffering capacity of the wine/must. I've seen the same fruit wine use 50% less acid for the same change in pH just based on a different brand of grape concentrate. I have long since quit trying to calculate additions for pH adjustments. I just add a little bit, see how much it moves, and add more or less from there.

Your pH isn't too high to finish, but I wouldn't be surprised if in the end you need to add a little something back.

That seems extreme for a half dose, did you completely degas your sample before testing the pH?

No. Did not know that sample needed to be degassed. Can that make a significant difference? Will try again tonight.

Specific gravity tonight 1.030... still. Vacuum degassed a sample and re-checked pH... now reading 3.60 so a tiny change at most.

Starting to worry about stuck fermentation now. I bought another 5g yeast packet... is there anything I can do with that to get it going again?

I am also starting to wonder if I should press and transfer to a secondary carboy... its been 8 days since adding the yeast now.

Thoughts?

With 30 lbs of berries, I water it up to about 10 Gals. The thing it your Original SG should be in the 1.085 - 1.095 range. If you are at 1.087 you are in range, but adding more water would dilute the sugar. I would make a 1.090 sugar water, and add it til you get at 10 gals. That should keep you in the same range as you are now. close anyway. you'll come out to about 1.088~ still good to go.. Just my opinion.I'd have those berries in a mess bag, and squeeze them some every day during primary.. You should end up with about to 10 gals. I think that 65% is a little low. At least it didn't work out like that for me. I would get some more berries and have them on hand to squeeze out juice, or if you have 100% blueberry juice available, for top off, and f-pac later.. Anyway, Don't stess over it you can always add flavor, and back sweeten with an F-pac later.. and use juice as a top off. there is so many ways to make it work.. I would bulk age for at least 6 months though, and it wouldn't hurt to Oak that with some Medium French oak. It will add a bunch of great mellow, and a touch of vanilla notes. Again just my opinion..Either way take meticulous notes and post them. My bluebarry is one of my Favorites. I will be putting on a 10 gallon in a month or so, from the frozen berries.

Specific gravity tonight 1.030... still. Vacuum degassed a sample and re-checked pH... now reading 3.60 so a tiny change at most.

Starting to worry about stuck fermentation now. I bought another 5g yeast packet... is there anything I can do with that to get it going again?

I am also starting to wonder if I should press and transfer to a secondary carboy... its been 8 days since adding the yeast now.

Thoughts?

What yeast are you using?

You've got the pH up, and assume you are now maintaining temps around 75, and you've already dosed twice with nutrients, correct?

What nutrient did you use and what was the dosage?

Personally, I wouldn't press until AF was nearly over.

What yeast are you using?

You've got the pH up, and assume you are now maintaining temps around 75, and you've already dosed twice with nutrients, correct?

What nutrient did you use and what was the dosage?

Personally, I wouldn't press until AF was nearly over.

Decent news today... down to 1.022 on the hydrometer. Temps are like 75-78F. I am using an electric heater in the closet and it doesnt regulate the temp with much precision.

I am using redstar pasteur red... recommended by my homebrew store... but in retrospect not the best choice. I started with 9 grams of Fermaid K at the start of fermentation. At 1/2 sugar I added 1tsp of Wyeast nutrient... the instructions said 1/2 tsp per 5gal. Probably should have stuck with one nutrient, but I ran out of fermaid K and this batch of blueberry wine has been kind of my "finish all of the uspplements I have in the cupboard before next year" batch. DId I just invent a new category of wine? Haha

Last edited:
Exciting update. I pressed and transferred this morning. Specific gravity was about 1.004 or so. I ended up getting about 6.5 gallons. You can see my 6 gallon carboy is not quite full and I have a little over half a gallon in a one gallon carboy that I will be using for top up when I transfer off the gross lees in a few days.

Please we critique my next steps because honestly I am not sure.
1. Let the carboys bubble for 4 days or so to finish off fermentation.
2. Rack off gross lees and add 1/4 tsp kmeta and oak chips
3. Wait a week and transfer leaving oak behind.
4. Wait 3 months, add 1/4tsp kmeta and bottle

Sound about right?

20161217_075738.jpg

20161217_080143-1.jpg

20161217_085055.jpg

Last edited:
Exciting update. I pressed and transferred this morning. Specific gravity was about 1.004 or so. I ended up getting about 6.5 gallons. You can see my 6 gallon carboy is not quite full and I have a little over half a gallon in a one gallon carboy that I will be using for top up when I transfer off the gross lees in a few days.

Please we critique my next steps because honestly I am not sure.
1. Let the carboys bubble for 4 days or so to finish off fermentation.
2. Rack off gross lees and add 1/4 tsp kmeta and oak chips
3. Wait a week and transfer leaving oak behind.
4. Wait 3 months, add 1/4tsp kmeta and bottle

Sound about right?

My steps woul be:

1. Let the fermentation continue until you have no drop in SG for three consecutive days.
2. As fermentation slows, gross lees will drop, rack off of them in 2-3 days whether fermentation is complete or not, they can get stinky.
3. When fermentation is complete, add KMS and oak if you want oak, leave it in until you think it's a little stronger than you want it to be, it'll fall back in aging.
4. Rack (if needed) and KMS every three months til you're clear as a bell.
5. Sweeten / sorbate if desired.
6. Bottle a week later.

My steps woul be:

1. Let the fermentation continue until you have no drop in SG for three consecutive days.
2. As fermentation slows, gross lees will drop, rack off of them in 2-3 days whether fermentation is complete or not, they can get stinky.
3. When fermentation is complete, add KMS and oak if you want oak, leave it in until you think it's a little stronger than you want it to be, it'll fall back in aging.
4. Rack (if needed) and KMS every three months til you're clear as a bell.
5. Sweeten / sorbate if desired.
6. Bottle a week later.

Excellent. Thank you. DO I keep it at fermentation temps (70-75) during the whole process? OR do I lower it to 60's after fermentation is complete?

Agree with JohnD - I always pull the gross lees out after Primary is done (1.020 or lower). Especially if the Primary Fermentation has been a week or more. I do some pressing of course to get all the juice I can out of there and that usually means more fine lees in the must but... that all drops in a short while.

Blueberry wine, for me, has always self-cleared in well under 3 months time with zero additives for clearing at any point - Crystal clear in fact. One of the easiest wines to work with for that part.

I racked off the gross lees this morning and combined the 1 gallon and 6 gallon batches for about 6 total gallons. I got a little frusterated because as soon as I started racking, some of the sediment from the bottoms floated up and made it hard to not transfer the sediment. It seems like blueberry lees are 'ligher' or 'less dense' than what I am used to with wine made from grapes? Needless to say, I found a bunch of sediment in the bottom of my carboy even after racking, so either I screwed up, or maybe this is normal?

Specific gravity is now down to 1.000 and it seems to be slowing. I'll rack again and add kmeta after 3 days of no S.G. movement... probably this coming weekend if I had to guess.

I racked off the gross lees this morning and combined the 1 gallon and 6 gallon batches for about 6 total gallons. I got a little frusterated because as soon as I started racking, some of the sediment from the bottoms floated up and made it hard to not transfer the sediment. It seems like blueberry lees are 'ligher' or 'less dense' than what I am used to with wine made from grapes? Needless to say, I found a bunch of sediment in the bottom of my carboy even after racking, so either I screwed up, or maybe this is normal?

Specific gravity is now down to 1.000 and it seems to be slowing. I'll rack again and add kmeta after 3 days of no S.G. movement... probably this coming weekend if I had to guess.

For the first racking off of the gross lees, you just try to get the most wine you can and as little lees as possible. In subsequent rackings, as the sediment layer is thinner and more compact, you'll be able to just set your anti-sediment tip on the bottom and let it roll without sucking that stuff up.

You're in good shape, when you rack again when it's dry, put your KMS in the target carboy and rack onto it, then you'll be able to just let time and gravity clear it up for you. I didn't use any clearing agents in mine, it's a little over three months since KMS racking with a little layer of very fine dust, and clear as a bell.

Latest posts

Back