Just started 30lbs blueberry wine. Calculation question to start...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I did not check the TA or pH... I could though. I just was going straight off an online recipe for how much acid blend to add

I would.

I don't want to alarm you, your berries could be different. But I've got two batches of blueberry going, one a traditional recipe at 6.5#/gallon (looked at my notes and realized I misspoke earlier), and another rosé style, 6#/gallon, both 3 gallon batches. The former started at 2.91, and I adjusted UP to 3.27. The latter started at 2.64, and I adjusted UP to 3.29. Both wines have a bit of grape base as well, so that is different than your batch; however, I don't think the grape base drove the pH down, I think it was the blueberries.

I would.

I don't want to alarm you, your berries could be different. But I've got two batches of blueberry going, one a traditional recipe at 6.5#/gallon (looked at my notes and realized I misspoke earlier), and another rosé style, 6#/gallon, both 3 gallon batches. The former started at 2.91, and I adjusted UP to 3.27. The latter started at 2.64, and I adjusted UP to 3.29. Both wines have a bit of grape base as well, so that is different than your batch; however, I don't think the grape base drove the pH down, I think it was the blueberries.

I second that emotion. My batch was at 2.95, which was adjusted up to 3.31 prior to fermentation, bit safer for the yeast. It's a good idea to get your acids adjusted before AF. It's just the way blueberries are, on the acidic side.

Made a very good wine from 4 1/2 lbs of blueberries for a gallon and I've got a 1 gallon batch with 8 lbs currently aging. I would probably go for using enough water to get to 5 gallons of finished wine. Allow for loss of volume with some sediment so just enough liquid to get to no more than 6 gallons max when you pitch the yeast. Don't forget to allow for the water needed to dissolve your sugar (If that's what you use)
One word of advice - watch the acidity. My latest batch with 8 lbs was at a pH of 3.02 the last time I checked it 6 weeks ago, will check again this week. I agree with Stressbaby's comment above - blueberries are pretty acidic.

Also I would NOT remove the berry pulp from my must until at least the end of the primary fermentation. (In other words I would NOT press out the blueberry juice) Put the blue berries in however many fine mesh bags you need to hold them all. Let all the flavor and characteristics of the blueberries be released before you pull out the berries. My 3 batches so far have had very little residue left the berries and skins will pretty much break down - so why lose any of that - Even if that adds to the acidity of the must. The acidity you can deal with but DON'T give up that flavor.

I would.

Ok, I went ahead and checked it tonight. It was already fermenting, so not sure if that makes a difference? I got a pH of 2.92 and a TA measurement of about 5 g/L (0.5%). How did you raise your pH?

Ok, I went ahead and checked it tonight. It was already fermenting, so not sure if that makes a difference? I got a pH of 2.92 and a TA measurement of about 5 g/L (0.5%). How did you raise your pH?

For small adjustments, potassium bicarbonate. Go slow, little bits at a time, not all at once.....

Even after fermentatin has started? Or is it too late? WHat about adding more water at pH 7.0?

If your TA is only 5g/l I'd think twice before reducing it. That's not very high.

If your TA is only 5g/l I'd think twice before reducing it. That's not very high.

I performed my measurement with a titration kit, so its +/- 1 g/L or so. If anything it probably was probably under 5 g/L.

My 1 gallon batch with 8lbs of blueberries started out with a pH around 2.9X it has mellowed somewhat. Again as others have said take it slow. Adjusting the acidity doesn't have to be done immediately as long as fermentation is running well.

I didn't see where you mentioned how much wine must you now have fermenting.

Hang in there. Unless fermentation is adversely affected by the acidity just let it roll and you can start adjusting that once fermentation has completed.

My 1 gallon batch with 8lbs of blueberries started out with a pH around 2.9X it has mellowed somewhat. Again as others have said take it slow. Adjusting the acidity doesn't have to be done immediately as long as fermentation is running well.

I didn't see where you mentioned how much wine must you now have fermenting.

Hang in there. Unless fermentation is adversely affected by the acidity just let it roll and you can start adjusting that once fermentation has completed.

Yes, the wine is fermenting heavily at this point... nice sized cap that I am punching down 3 or 4 times a day. Took a refractometer reading (which I know will be thrown off by the alcohol%) just to make sure it was dropping. It was 1.075 so I guess I am making some booze!

Checked the specific gravity today. It is down to 1.050. Added some yeast nutrient as I am past 1/3 sugar depletion.

Last edited:
Bumped up the temp a bit as the fermentation seemed to be slowing. Down to 1.035 on the hydrometer... it has been 7 days since inoculation. The wine smells good. No hint of sulfur or anything weird. So thats better than batch of wine from grapes that I did this fall!

Bumped up the temp a bit as the fermentation seemed to be slowing. Down to 1.035 on the hydrometer... it has been 7 days since inoculation. The wine smells good. No hint of sulfur or anything weird. So thats better than batch of wine from grapes that I did this fall!

I'm assuming this is the same wine from the other thread, but you haven't mentioned adjusting your pH, did you make the adjustment?

I know you got a comment in this thread about not adjusting it because your TA was low, but you can fix that later if need be, and it's very easy to adjust. If the low pH causes your fermentation to stall out, then it doesn't really matter what the TA is, does it? It's a lot harder to restart a stuck fermentation than adjust your TA upward, if it even needs it later.

Two "meta" points to make here.
First, @v8rx7guy, it is helpful if you keep to one thread per batch, at least from conception through AF. Believe it or not, some of us live vicariously through other posters with these ferments and we like to keep the wines straight.
Second, too few of these wines get follow up posts. So I'll just make my plea here and now for follow up posts at bottling and occasionally after drinking a bottle.

I'm assuming this is the same wine from the other thread, but you haven't mentioned adjusting your pH, did you make the adjustment?

I know you got a comment in this thread about not adjusting it because your TA was low, but you can fix that later if need be, and it's very easy to adjust. If the low pH causes your fermentation to stall out, then it doesn't really matter what the TA is, does it? It's a lot harder to restart a stuck fermentation than adjust your TA upward, if it even needs it later.

Yes... same batch. Thought I would start a new thread with my concern... I am still learning how things go around here! I did not get a chance to run to the wine store since your recommendation, potassium bicarbonate is not something I have on hand. It also makes me nervous to use something that I dont have experience with. Any advice on dosing? I have 8.5gallons of must. I am go to see if I have had any noticeable movement over night with the bump up of 5 degrees.

Two "meta" points to make here.
First, @v8rx7guy, it is helpful if you keep to one thread per batch, at least from conception through AF. Believe it or not, some of us live vicariously through other posters with these ferments and we like to keep the wines straight.
Second, too few of these wines get follow up posts. So I'll just make my plea here and now for follow up posts at bottling and occasionally after drinking a bottle.

One thread.. got it! My appologies. The only other batch thread that I have on my 2016 Regent I stuck with it all the way thru... I promise to do the same here!

Yes... same batch. I did not get a chance to run to the wine store since your recommendation, potassium bicarbonate is not something I have on hand. It also makes me nervous to use something that I dont have experience with. Any advice on dosing? I have 8.5gallons of must. I am go to see if I have had any noticeable movement over night with the bump up of 5 degrees.

Typical dosing recommendation is 1 gram per liter to raise the pH by .10 units. So if you wanted to go from 3.0 to 3.2, you would use 2 g/l. My advice is never use exactly what you calculate, use half, then mix really well and give it an hour or two to take hold. If you want to adjust further, follow the same process, calculate, add half, mix, wait, measure. Common error, don't calculate based upon your must volume, calculate based upon your final (expected) wine volume. My calcs are based upon final volume being roughly 65% of the must volume, YMMV.

Typical dosing recommendation is 1 gram per liter to raise the pH by .10 units. So if you wanted to go from 3.0 to 3.2, you would use 2 g/l. My advice is never use exactly what you calculate, use half, then mix really well and give it an hour or two to take hold. If you want to adjust further, follow the same process, calculate, add half, mix, wait, measure. Common error, don't calculate based upon your must volume, calculate based upon your final (expected) wine volume. My calcs are based upon final volume being roughly 65% of the must volume, YMMV.

OK. So I am shooting for a 6 gallon batch from my 8.5 gallons of must. 6 gallons is about 23L. I want to bump it from 2.9pH to 3.2pH... so 3 g/L x 23L which is 69 grams. I'll use your advice and start with maybe 40 grams or so and check. Sound good?

Oh yes... one more thing. My wine store has 'potassium carbonate' not 'potassium bicarbonate'. SAme stuff? Maybe a mis-label?

OK. So I am shooting for a 6 gallon batch from my 8.5 gallons of must. 6 gallons is about 23L. I want to bump it from 2.9pH to 3.2pH... so 3 g/L x 23L which is 69 grams. I'll use your advice and start with maybe 40 grams or so and check. Sound good?

Oh yes... one more thing. My wine store has 'potassium carbonate' not 'potassium bicarbonate'. SAme stuff? Maybe a mis-label?

23 x 1.5 is 34.5, start with 30, you can always add more, but can't remove it. For me, it always seems to do more than it's supposed to.

I've seen the stuff sold as carbonate and bicarbonate, should be the same, just check with a knowledgeable employee at your LHBS and make sure that it's for raising pH.

23 x 1.5 is 34.5, start with 30, you can always add more, but can't remove it. For me, it always seems to do more than it's supposed to.

I've seen the stuff sold as carbonate and bicarbonate, should be the same, just check with a knowledgeable employee at your LHBS and make sure that it's for raising pH.

Ok. Just added 30g of potassium carbonate. The guy at the homebrew supply shop confirmed this was the stuff. I will take a pH reading tonight.

Thank you all so much for being so helpful!

Latest posts

Back