brown wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marssane12

le buveur
Reaction score
i got a 5 gallons chardonnay from alexanders juice in california i did all the test PH TA and SO2...THE WINE TASTED GOOD AND SMELL GOOD but is as a light brown color and not completely clear i like to have some feedback what i need to do to make more clear .Also i did a cold stabilisation this winter and i like to bottle sooner
thank you:a1

Sounds like its either oxidized or it hasnt cleared yet. How long has it been since it finished fermenting. Was it properly sulfited once fermentation was done? We could use some more info like was it dark right out of the can? If it is oxidized then there is really only 1 possible action to take and I believe the product is called Polyclar. Research that and determine if thats the product, if not its something that starts with Poly that helps fix oxidized wine and update this whether it works ir not so others can learn and research this on here. I know its been brought up here once or twice but the more posts there are about this here the easier it becomes to do a search here.

Part of the problem is that it isn't clear yet. Much of the color is brown the sediment in suspension. Clear it first and then treat it later if you want for color. A good tight filter might strip some color also or try the Ploychlar product such as I list below.

Here is an information sheet on it - Polylact
http://www.fallbright.com/polylact_scottlabs_instructions.htm

Fallbright sells it, but you don't use much and it isn't cheap. I had a small batch of LaCrosse this year that colored up a nice golden color on the vine and got really ripe. When pressed, it was very dark and there was one small tank of it that was especially dark. It wasn't oxidized-just dark. As an experiment I used Polylact on it and it turned out the same color as the rest of the wine.

thank you guys i just order some polylact ,,also when the juice came it was light brown but i never give to much attention i did what i have to do and thinking it will clear later by him self
the wine ferment early november and was add so2 after the fermentation....
i will clear first and see how it come up and decide if i have to used polylact
the wine tasted great and smell good now..

so i think there is a hope to save the wine
should i filter the wine or used a clearing agent first?
thank you guys again for the infos
marssane

Thanks for chiming in Rich. I can never remember the name of that stuff.

Latest posts

Back