First Time Making Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsilfee

Junior
Reaction score
This will be my first attempt at making my own wine. The kit I purchased came with two small packets, easy clean no rinse cleaner, and campden tablets. I wanted to know if there are any other chemicals I should use for the first time? I have not started yet I just want to have everything before I start. Thank you!

Usually kits will have everything you need. If this were going to be a sweet wine, they would have included some potassium sorbate. But since they didn't, I'm guessing it will be a dry wine.

bsilfee, are you saying that the cleaner and the tablets were the only thing in the kit other than the juice? Can you give us the manufacturer, series and variety of the kit. We would be much more able to help you with this information. For example, it might be a Wine Expert, Vintner's Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon.

One thing that you did not mention that you will surely need is yeast. Whether the kit has other typical additives like Bentonite, Potasium Sorbate, oak, etc. will depend on the above information.

I apologize I was not very clear. I have not received the wine kit, I was talking about the brewing kit I purchased to make the wine in. That came with the two pouches of stuff I originally asked about.

As for the wine kit I ordered, it is called the Reserve Du Chateau 4 week German Riesling Traminar. That is supposed to arrive today.

Thank you for the help

Your equipment kit came with a cleaner and sanitizer. And YES you should clean and sanitize your equipment before use. BTW, most of prefer potassium metabisulphite (usually called K-meta) to campden tablets.

The wine kit will come with some single dose additives for making the wine. Probably, bentonite, K-meta, potassium sorbate, and clearing agent(s). Possibly, a sweetening pouch (usually called an F-pack).

There are no other chemicals you should need for a wine kit. Good luck with your first endeavour.

Steve

Latest posts

Back