Limited wine storage space what do you do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btom2004

Wine On My Mind
Reaction score
Hello: I would love to see some of the unique ways that members store wine.

If you make lots of wine and have no where to store it.

Please add picture of how you do it.

Show me those under stairs closet storage rooms.
The way down low storage under the house in the crawlspace...ect. Thanks

I just have the boxes of bottles stacked along the wall, in the bottom floor of the house, in the 'best' room in the house - the one where the temp fluctuates the least throughout the year, which is the dining room in my case.. But thats my winemaking area anyways, so the boxes arent "in the way" persay... We keep the house about 65, year around, so its not too bad..

Cant say its really unique, but its definitely nothing to show off :)
Does the job though

HA!!!
This is an easy one. Just drink faster.

No really. In my wine area i built a cabinet that will store about 150 bottles of my wine and about 200 bottles of other wine.
This room is on the lowest level of the house (not under ground) and stays at about 75 in the summer and 65 in the winter.

I copied the basic design from someone and used 2x4's as uprights. I have two and have about 260 bottles in them.

IMG_1067-1.jpg

Here is an older picture of my cellar when I first set it up. The crates are all full now. I got the heavy duty shelving units from Sams Club.

442-97.jpg

I have 3 of these Samsclub.com wine racks. $80ea and they will hold 200 bottles each. Hands down the most bang for the buck in wine storage.

20100107_161419_DSC02382.jpg

I have many different styles of racks. There is not a single bad thing I can say about any of them except the style that Mike just posted where you stack bottles on top of each other. The only issue is that you want to have all the same type of wines or your pulling off the top bottles to get to the bottom ones. Most of us have enough of the same type to do this. With all that said my last three wine racks are the same as Mike has and I would buy more in a heart beat of I needed them. They look good, they're sturdy and a heck of a bang for your buck.

nice! I'll be getting some of those Sams Club racks! here is where I plan to store my wine
lol as you can see there is no wine yet, I'm lucky enough to have a 2,000 sf basement thats
80% underground and it stays between 65-70 year round so I am hoping it will work out well
I'm not sure if I should keep collecting wine coolers or will the temp and darkness be enough to keep my wine happy?
IMG_1219.jpg

I have 3 of these Samsclub.com wine racks. $80ea and they will hold 200 bottles each. Hands down the most bang for the buck in wine storage.
I have a couple these as well. When I need more space, I'll add more of them. One of the good things about them is that with a little care, each shelf will hold 30 bottles.

The best bottles/$$ racks I've been able to find plus all of the other good stuff folks have said about them. Also, they are free standing. If you need to rearrange, it's no more difficult than moving 200 bottles :)

The crates are all full now. I got the heavy duty shelving units from Sams Club.

Joe, are those milk crates stacked in the shelves from Sam's Club? That's an awesome idea and seem ideal for my limited space. I live in a condo and the only place I'll have to store is in my storage crib in the basement (once I clear out the junk).

It would be nice if it was a little cooler say in the Winter but those temps are just fine. The cooler the temp the longer the wine will last and the slower it will age. Nothing to worry about either way. I would not buy any more wine coolers.

nice! I'll be getting some of those Sams Club racks! here is where I plan to store my wine
lol as you can see there is no wine yet, I'm lucky enough to have a 2,000 sf basement thats
80% underground and it stays between 65-70 year round so I am hoping it will work out well
I'm not sure if I should keep collecting wine coolers or will the temp and darkness be enough to keep my wine happy?
IMG_1219.jpg

I will get a thermometer for down there the 65-70 is just a guess its probably cooler. I'm only a couple months into
this hobby, I have a window A/C unit I was thinking about walling in the area in the picture and installing the A/C in this studded
wall and have the A/C drain into where the central A/C drains maybe that would be a better way to stabilize the temp year round?
lol I'm always thinking..
IMG_1218.jpg

I wish I had known of the Sams racks. Gonna get some for my place in Florida. I am sure I have over 80 bucks in the wooden racks I built.

Yeah there is so much information at ths forum and so many knowledgeable members willing to share info. Thanks everyone.

Isn't the shipping on the Sam's Club racks really expensive though? I have only found them available online, not actually in the retail stores.

I bought 2 online from somewhere else. Total was $225. I'm glad to have them for that cost.

If money is tight, make my Skid Row Wine Racks. Costs almost nothing and stores lots of bottles in little space. Bottles are single stacked, so you don't have to dig through a pile to get at a bottle you want. Efficient spacing gives you close to maximum bottle capacity for the space used. It's very heavy duty, it's not going to bow or bend. As your wine collection gets larger, just add layers. Bottles tucked within the shelves are protected from damage and the majority of light. It can be built to fit whatever space you have.

palletwineracks.jpg

You can find directions to build it here: Skid Row Wine Rack Once you get to the page, if you click on the image a couple of times, it'll enlarge making it easier to see the details.

Latest posts

Back