Mosti Mondiale Barolo Raisins Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rem1

Reaction score
Im starting the Renaissance Barolo tonight. The regular instructions say to add the raisins 24hrs after starting the kit. The seperate piece of paper that came with the kit said "open package & empty contents (raisins)into primary fermentor after the addition of the yeast.
Should I add the raisins now or wait 24 hrs?

I think either way you will be fine rem. Myself, personally, I would wait until fermentation has begun

I've added raisins right at the start on several small kits with no problems before. But when I did the Meglioli, the instr said to wait 24 hrs so I added the yeast one day and the raisins the next day. I think either way will work.

Hi Rem!!

Either way works, but I've done 6 kits with raisins and I prefer to add with everything else.4 were done with raisins added prior to fermentation and 2 after 24 hours. Ibelieve there is abetter extraction of the raisin as opposed to waiting 24 hours, since the sugar content is so high in those dehydrated grapes, osmosis occurs to dilute the concentration. Then, when the fermentation starts, the CO2 release from fermentation acts as a "stirring mechanism" if you will and the grapes swell into extraction time. Just my belief.

I like to wait till the yeast has started so that all the sugars from the raisin addition doesnt over do the yeast strain as an over sweet must can sometimes do.

Thinks for all the replies. I waited 20 hrs. before putting the raisins in. It has a good fermenation going. Looking foward to sampling this one.

Latest posts

Back