WINE MAKING INFORMATION

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
here is an OnLine Winemaking Manual that might make good reading on a hot summer's night...and save for future reference.

http://www.geocities.com/lumeisenman/

I was reading and found this...

On average, a ton of California wine grapes contains seven pounds of dirt,
one mouse nest, 247 bees, 198 wasps, 1,014 earwigs, 1,833 ants, 10,899 leaf
hoppers and four pounds of bird droppings, more or less. Besides the above
materials, the waxy coating on grapes contains a variety of microorganisms.
Freshly crushed, grapes contain several non grape substances and many
microorganisms..

What's in your wine???
I've been washing my fruit!!!

smiley11.gif
Yuck !!! Don't they wash before pressing?

No...they don't wash them. You watch Wine shows on TV and they pick into big dumpsters...then a tractor takes them to the winery and they just dump the whole thing into a crusher...the juice just pours out of the bottom of the dumpster...I always wondered about that....
smiley11.gif

Are we being far to anal about sanitizing and cleanliness in our home wine making?

Waldo, from what I have seen watching TV shows about winemaking the wineries are as anal if not more than we are in sanitation and cleanliness. They don't clean the grapes though that I have seen. Like said, they just dump them in the crusher and press and then throw them in the perfectly sanitized vessel.
smiley5.gif
I do have to say that when I make a fruit wine I just rinse off the fruit. I do it more to rinse off any pesticides as opposed to worrying about organic matter.

Maybe the foxy flavor that happens from time to time--- Yuck gag choke

NW im not sure I want to thank you for the information

That's where the old "MOG" (Matter other that Grapes) comes from. Check your commercial wine labels. You may see that listed on there!

I imagine that the mechanical harvesters account for more debris in the hamper too....."What you don't know...won't hurt you"...or will it????

I don't know how many of you have access to cherry orchards, but most sweet cherries like Bing, Ranier, Montmorency, etc are all susceptible to cherry worm. This is a nasty moth that lays eggs on the blossoms, the cherries form around the eggs, and when you see holes in the cherries is when the worms *leave* the cherries! They are actually born inside the fruit! All producers who don't spray for cherry worm will have these beasts inside all the fruit!!!! If making wine, that can account for some flavors.

I just posted this thread on my crystal river cruisers website. The folks like this sort of humor/fact

They say it beer only from now on.
smiley5.gif

And they think drinking worts is better? Then there is barley and hops - you don't want to know what is in there!
smiley36.gif
Personally, it think they over did it with the contents of that ton of grapes! I have dealt with a lot of produce in the past and if I delivered produce like that to anybody, they would dump it out or refus it! I have lost thousands of dollars before leaving tens of thousands of ears of sweet corn in the field when the armyworms got uncontrollable. No housewife or macho man wants a worm in his ear of corn much less mouse droppings and birds nests in their wine!

I just visited a local winery AM and thepicking machinewent from the truck directly to the crusher. There has to be a lot of junk in between those tiny grapes.

Apples and oranges in deliver trucks must rattle and shake all the poop to the bottom of the truck.
Its disgusting to imagine it any way. I guess we should make watermellon or pumpkin wine to be safe.
smiley36.gif

I am sure the barley and hops have their share of bugs and larvae in it, as well as road dust, machinery metal grindings and that goes for wheat/flour....it's just part of life.

As for worms in ears of corn....we get that some years and it's just how it is...I am sure people buying it would complain...but they complain about anything.

We ate some broccoli one night...Jim said....."how many worms did you have" as he counted out the nicely cooked up worms he had found...I had found "NONE"...guess I wasn't looking.

Them worms are just added protien Mother Nature provides.Edited by: Waldo

Latest posts

Back