Mesquite Bean Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm....I don't have any mesquite trees close by, guess I'll be taking a drive this weekend to see if I can get my hands on any.

I thought mesquite beans were a late summer thing. I didn't realize they would come in this early.

I'm much further north than that, closer to I-20/ central west Texas.

I think there is a pretty large mesquite tree a few blocks over. I'll detour on my way to work today and see if it's got anything on it.

Man I misread the directions and added all the sugar in the beginning. What will happen if my SG is too high?

Making wine in South Texas since March 2014

Cibolo Creek Cellars

Follow us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/sekulafamilyfarms

www.sekulafamilyfarms.com

What was SG at? The higher it is, the higher your ABV will be. I've made a few very potent ones before, it happens I think my first mesquite was 16% haha

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I followed the directions exactly, however I added all of the sugar at the beginning instead of half up front and half a week in...

You should be fine, I have always done all sugar up front. Never had a recipe that added a week in. But I'm also not an expert haha

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I've never made wine with mesquite beans, but I have used them in beer. Never boil the beans, you will extract to much tannin. Break up the husks and soak for about an hour at 150 to 158 degrees, the seeds are bitter while the husk/shell has a fair amount of sugar so you don't want to crack or grind the seeds.

Roasting is optional, but for beer really adds to the flavor.

OK so I did my second racking today and the color change could not be more drastic since I first put the wine into the carboy from the bucket... The taste though still has a strong alcohol flavor with a slight woodiness to it. I have no other way to describe other than "interesting" at this point LOL.

DSC_0878.jpg

DSC_0891.jpg

DSC_0892.jpg

Ok so tried it today again... Still has a strong burn and not sure about the after flavor... Hopefully it will die down. Will try again in a month or two.

Ok so tried it today again... Still has a strong burn and not sure about the after flavor... Hopefully it will die down. Will try again in a month or two.

Any updates on these from anyone?

We have green beans hanging everywhere, so I will be able to pick some in a few weeks hopefully.

I haven't decided yet if I want to boil them or attempt to figure out a way to run them through the steam juicer.

Ok, I've picked several pounds of mesquite beans so far. I want to try to at least get again as much before I try to make something out of them. So far I'm thinking of mesquite mead, and some mesquite molasses that I can use for flavoring other things later on.

I am trying to find anyone who has made mesquite wine. I have found a few old threads from people who haven't been on here in years, but they didn't have much info. I am wondering how it tastes, what recipe you used, before i attempt to make it. Any help would be appreciated. :D
Hello, I’ve tasted it. I can tell you how it tastes. Would you be willing to share your recipe?

snowgirl, here is the recipe that i am using off of Jack Keller's website.

Native Americans have long used mesquite beans to make numerous delicacies and a few staples. The dried beans were ground into a flour that in turn made bread, cakes and bisquits. The beans also yielded candy, pudding and a wine-like beverage. Today mesquite jelly and mesquite wine are more common by-products.

The green mesquite bean pod, according to Euel Gibbons, contains a high percentage of natural sugars and makes a high energy survival food. This sugar would explain why the bean is known to naturally ferment under appropriate conditions. Once cattle taste fermenting mesquite beans, they will go to any length to get more if they smell the ferment.

Mesquite bean pods are typically 6-12 inches long and turn from green to yellow to brown. Gather the bean pods when starting to turn from green to yellow-brown, but before they start falling. They may be slightly freckled with dark red or may be plain. If the pods have already begun falling, check fallen ones carefully for boring insects.

Mesquite Bean Wine

3 lbs mesquite beans
11 oz can Welch's 100% White Grape Juice Frozen Concentrate
1-1/2 to 2 lbs finely granulated sugar (to s.g. 1.090)
water to make up one gallon
1-1/2 to 2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Champagne wine yeast
Wash the bean pods and break them into one-inch pieces. Put them into a large cooking pot and cover them with about 3 quarts water. Simmer slowly for one hour, covered. Strain the beans off and discard. Pour the water into a primary and stir into it half the sugar. Stir well to dissolve the sugar, then add grape concentrate. Cover with cloth and set aside to cool. When at room temperature, add acid blend, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme. Stir to dissolve these ingredients and set aside, covered, for 12 hours. Add activated yeast and recover primary. Stir daily for 7 days. Stir in remaining sugar until dissolved, transfer to secondary, top up, and fit airlock. Rack into clean secondary, top up and refit airlock every 30 days for next 4 months. Stabilize, bottle and allow to age one year before drinking. This wine will keep well, getting better as it ages.

That recipe of for a one gallon recipe, but I am making a 5 gallon recipe for my first attempt at this since we have so many mesquite beans in West Texas. I am pretty much following his recipe, just boiling 3 quarts of water in 3 quarts of mesquite beans to get the juice that you add to the grape juice concentrate to make a gallon. In this case I just multiplied the beans and water by 5 and got the must I wanted for the 5 gallon batch. I have not made this before so i do not know how it will taste...but I did make one recipe very similar to his using the Texas Sand burrs instead of mesquite beans. It turned out to be a very nice dry white wine that aged very well. I am hoping this wine will turn out very similar in body and taste. Good luck with yours and I will keep you updated on how mine is going.

I am going to try the 5 gal batch. thanks. Did I misread this or did you say you made some out of sand burrs? I'm very curious.

Back