Packlab Raisins/Currants for Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what does beef up mean. If you want to add tannins I would add oak after fermentation is complete. any other additions will unbalance the wine. Barolo is a bold red. I would also keep from adding sugar to increase alcohol as this will also unbalance the wine.

If you want a good Barolo buy a high end kit.

My notes on 3 Paklab Barolo kits. All the cheap kits.

Addition
Aug 04, 2012
1 cup Sugar
1 cup oak plus medium boiled in 1/2 cup water- all added
1/2 tsp peptic enzyme
2.5 kg Paklab shiraz grape pack
Really good results on this one, ALL GONE! Rocky liked it too.

2.​
Addition
Aug 18, 2013
3 lb frozen blackberries = bagged
3/4 cup Med Oak plus
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp Peptic Enzyme
Saw this tweak on th forum, Shows promise. Drinkable now.

Sep 04, 2013
1/2 cup Med toast oak plus
1 cup sugar
1 tsp peptic enzyme
4 lb marquette skins
1/2 cup limestone gravel
1/2 tsp k-meta
Acid was high from Marquette skins. thus the limestone. This one will need more time in the bottle but has good complexity.

Last edited:
By luck of the draw none of the Barolo kits have been tweaked with Zante Currants (tiny raisins) I've used the currants in many Paklabb kits:

NERO D AVOLA-CAB. SAUV (20oz)
Italian Maerlot Reserva Chateaux (20oz)
Sangiovese (10oz)
Chilian cab-merlot (20 oz)

All the above are nice everyday drinks.

Not expecting anything approaching a true Barolo, of course. It's just a good opportunity for some experimenting.

Thanks for your notes kevinlfifer.

I was thinking 1 lb raisins, 1 tsp tannin and a cup med french oak chips in the fermenter.

If it turns out terrible, no big loss.

My notes on 3 Paklab Barolo kits. All the cheap kits.

Addition
Aug 04, 2012
1 cup Sugar
1 cup oak plus medium boiled in 1/2 cup water- all added
1/2 tsp peptic enzyme
2.5 kg Paklab shiraz grape pack
Really good results on this one, ALL GONE! Rocky liked it too.

Did you oak in primary, bulk, or both?

Is this the Vino Italiano?

I did one 18 months ago and used BM45 and gave it some Med+ hungarian oak in bulk. It ain't half bad. I have an Eclipse Barolo in secondary now. I expect it will be slightly better. :)

I used med toast chips in the primary. I boil the oak and add the water as well to extract the flavor a bit faster, because I have a high ambient temp. and fermentation is quick.

This was their Amore line. Still a 5.1 L kit same as the Vino Italiano.

What your planning should work well.

To Boatboy " Ya Think!"

I've never done a top end Barolo yet, but from the results of the cheap ones I think I'd like it. It's on my to do list.

Last edited:
I used med toast chips in the primary. I boil the oak and add the water as well to extract the flavor a bit faster, because I have a high ambient temp. and fermentation is quick.

To Boatboy " Ya Think!"

Yep, just a touch of sarcasm there. :D

Labelled as Vino Europa...I suspect the same kit. Double kit from Costco, but I think 10L juices? (not at home right now to check). Pretty good deals for tweaker kits, but an Eclipse is definitely on my radar as well. Have quite a few in queue now, and the cellar if full, full, full. Nice complaint, huh?

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't tried an Eclipse kit yet. My wife says I have to finish the kits on the shelf first. Only 6 kits to go.

Latest posts

Back