My First Cyser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plato

Reaction score
Is it common for Cyser to get a slow start in fermenting. The Initial SG is 1.090 and I used EC-1118 Yeast. Its been about 24 hours and nothing noticible. I pitched some dragon blood right beside it the same time and its roaring.

Tested the acidity? Both honey & apples are acidic naturally..

Did you add commercial apple juice or press apples? Any sorbate/benzoate in the juice, if thats the route you went?

Just sprinkle the yeast on the must, or did you make a starter? What was the date on the 1118 package?

I have not tested the acidity, I havent ventured into that neck of the wine making yet. I guess now is as good a time as any.
I used a local Apple cider with no preservatives. Im kind of lucky because the orchards are all around me so its local

The first pitch was a starter, the second pitch was a sprinkle. Neither are taking off.

I did add a campden tab about 24 hours before pitching though. I thought with it being honey I broke up off the comb the natural yeast may need silenced. I did notice the spices I added, Nutmeg and Cinnamon were clumped and floating to the top creating a layer. I have since scooped it off.

Did you add any yeast nutrient? Something is wrong did it ever start fermenting?

The Cyser I started in November 2012 had a strating SG of 1.122 with a combination of 5 gal of fresh apple cider (SG 1.056) and 12 lbs of honey and two large cinnamon sticks. I did an acid test and it was .50 so I didn't make any adjustments. I added 6 tsp of yeast nutrient and 3 tsp yeast energizer. I did a vigerious shake of my 6 1/2 gallon glass carboy to get as much air into the liquid. I sprinkled two packs of Lavin 71B-1122 on top. I started to get my first CO2 in 2 1/2 hours in a short time it was getting so strong I removed the bung and attached a 1" diameter tube that I use for beer brewing. I have to say I got a beer type of blow off the CO2 was that strong. I got a fast fermentation in the primary 1.122 to .999 in 13 days which is the fastest I have had for a Cyser. I have it in secondary right now and it is very clear and will start to bulk age in a few days.

It did take off and its roaring. It was a slow start but its roaring now.

Latest posts

Back