Pectic Enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the middle of primary fermentation of a 5 gallon batch of Beet (yes I said Beet) wine. The recipe I used does not call for pectic enzyme, however in reading a few other recipes, I see all the others call for it. My question is, will it hurt anything if I add pectic enzyme 4 days into primary fermentation? The batch has excellent color, but I am worried about starch haze from the beets...... I suppose, I could always do a second batch with the enzyme (we had an over abundance of beets in the garden this year) and compare the two........ Thanks in advance.

Robert Cornell

I did some searching and found no enzyme used in most recipes. I do know that keeping beet wine in total darkness from start to finish is critical to maintain the color.

What recipe did you use?

I adapted the recipe to 5 gallons from the winemaker's recipe handbook.

Here are the basics:

Approximately 15lbs Beets, washed, peeled, cut-up and simmered until tender.

2 1/2 lbs chopped raisins

approximately 12 lbs of sugar (to obtain starting Sp Grav of 1.100)

10 tsp of acid blend

5 tsp of yeast nutrient

2 1/4 tsp tannin

5 campden tablets

Montrachet yeast

Combined in the usual methods with beets and raisins in a straining bag......The must is working great....vigorous bubbling, smells great (good enough to drink!) and the most beautiful red purple color.

The recipe I later read was in Terry Garey's book "The Joy of Home Wine Making" It is very close, but includes pectic enzyme and I have had great luck with her recipes to date so I wondered if it wouldn't hurt to add the enzyme this late in the game. I likely won't rack into secondary until at the earliest this weekend, depending on Sp. Grav.

I know that I will have to keep this wine in the dark in order to maintain the color.

It honestly isn't a big deal to me whether I add it or not since the whole thing is really just an experiment (aren't all batches?) but with the beautiful color, I don't want it to be spoiled by starch haze......maybe I am being too picky?? I guess the bottom line question is can and should I add pectic enzyme now and what risk do I take by adding or not adding? The recipe I adapted didn't call for it so........Thanks!

Robert

Alcohol does reduce the the efficiency of pectic enzyme so adding it post fermentation is not the preferred method. I don't know of any harm it could cause so you can go ahead and add some now and it might prevent problems later on.

I do not think beets have any apreciatable amounts of pectin in them but keep in mind that pectin and starch are two different things. Beets do contain alot of starch. The nice thing with starch haze is that fining agents will clear it up nicely.

Pete

Latest posts

Back