Wanting To Try Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
smiley5.gif

Come, let us reason together

And help Waldo fulfill his need

His Daughter has requested of him

That he try and make some Mead

The recipe from Fine Vine Wines

Needs some clarification

For Waldo to be able to make

The best Mead in the nation.

Is there anyone here that can help fulfill his need

Anyone at all, who has previously made some Mead

Masta can help with your need

To make the fine drink you call mead

I have some knowledge in this task

And can help you get the drink ready for your glass

I believe the recipe you speak of has some flaws

pH of honey is low so no need to adjust acid at all

Honey needs to be treated with great care

As heating it will cause the fine aromas to fly into the air

So go ahead and post your questions on making mead

I will do my best to fulfill your need

ROFLMAO
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

What then O' Masta from the recipe

would you have me change for me

So that I might meet my need

To make mydaughter some lovely mead

I would be forever beholden to thee

If you could post me a good recipe

One easily followed

By a "Newbie"

Edited by: Waldo

Masta !!!! Masta !!!!! Do not forsake me in my hour of need.

I really must make my daughter some Mead.

And of your knowledge I am much in need.

I am by no means an experienced mead maker and have only made 3 batches so far. This was my first mead and after lots of reading and research I made up this recipe. I would suggest getting a copy of the Complete Meadmaker by Ken Schramm to add to your collection of valuable wine, mead making resources.

Valley Brew’s Tupelo Vanilla Mead<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
<TABLE style="MARGIN: auto auto auto 4.65pt; WIDTH: 258pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=344 ="MsonormalTable"><T>
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 258pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=344>
18 lbs <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:CITY><ST1:pLACE>Tupelo</ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY> Honey (not heated)<O:p></O:p></TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 258pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=344>
2 tsp Yeast Nutrient<O:p></O:p>
2 tsp Yeast Energizer<O:p></O:p></TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 2">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 258pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap width=344>
6 oz chopped raisins<O:p></O:p>
10oz chopped dates<O:p></O:p></TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 3">
10 grams Lalvin D-47 yeast<O:p></O:p></TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 4; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
18Sweet Bourbon Vanilla Beans from <ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN><ST1:pLACE>Uganda</ST1:pLACE></ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN>
<ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN><ST1:pLACE>Water to ~ 5 1/2 gals</ST1:pLACE></ST1:COUNTRY-REGIoN></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Only warm the honey enough to get it out of the jars. I submerged them in hot water for 5-10 mins

Use dried fruit with no added sorbates

Mix honey,water,nutrient,energizer well in 6 gal carboy as primary

Re hydrated and then pitched yeast

Starting Specific Gravity was 1.112 @ 78 degrees (seems high but I wanted it to finish slightly sweet after yeast stopped at roughly 14% abv)

Stirred each day for 3 days and enjoyed the wonderful aromas

Removed airlock and had to put in blowoff tube since fermentation took off like a rocket and chunks of fruit was plugging it up!

Racked to secondary 5 gal carboy after 28 days and added vanilla beans that were sliced down the middle. Tasted and it is very harsh!

Racked again after 4 months and it is quite clear at this point. Added scraped seeds from another dozen vanilla beans to try and bringout thevanilla aroma and flavor. Specific gravity reading is 1.005 and taste has improved and is quite good. Amazing floral aromas from Tupelo Honey and clings to glass even after it is empty!

Plan to bottle soon and place away in cellar for aging at least one year.

From my research meads can not be rushed and need plenty of aging to become a great drink.

Edited by: masta

ok, the young grasshopper here has a question. What is mead and how does it compare to beer?? i.e. taste and how its made? Thanks.

I Thank you Masta for meeting my need

of a recipe to make good mead.

Nothing I see is above my means

But I now must find me some vanilla beans

For I did a search in George's store

And if he had them, he has them no more.

I'll not worry nor will I fret

I know I can find em on the Internet.

The only thing I really fear

Is informing my daughter she must wait a year

to fulfill her passionate need

of having some of Daddy's Mead

<DIV align=center>
<H3>Mead Styles</H3>
<UL>
<LI>Mead - made with honey, water and yeast optionally with flavoring ingredients
<LI>Hydromel - the French name for mead
<LI>Sack mead - a sweeter mead, with more honey
<LI>Melomel - mead made with fruit or fruit juice
<LI>Metheglin - mead made with spices and extracts
<LI>Morat - mead made with mulberries
<LI>Pyment - mead made with both honey and grapes
<LI>Hippocras - honey, grapes, and spices
<LI>Cyser - honey and apples or apple cider (apple juice in Europe) Can also be made with peach, cherry or pear cider
<LI>Braggot - honey and malt, sort of a mead-beer
<LI>Oxymel - mead mixed with wine vinegar
<LI>Rhodomel - honey with attar, a rose petal distillate, or rose petals
<LI>Capsicumel - honey with chile peppers
<LI>Omphacomel - mead and verjuice, the juice of unripe grapes
<LI>T'ej - T'ej is honey, water and hops. It is the national drink of Ethiopia, and has a unique taste </LI>[/list]

If you have never had mead I would suggest buying some and trying it first.

Mead is also called honey wine by some and it is much closer to wine than beer which is from malted barley,wheat or rice then fermented.

An excellent resource for learning about mead is:

http://www.gotmead.com/

A resource for learning about different types of honey and where you can purchase them:

http://www.honeylocator.com/

Waldo I bought my beans on ebay and the quality was good and the price was excellent:

http://stores.ebay.com/Vanilla-Cafe_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ 3astoreviewQQtZkm

Most folks can get local honey to make mead but sometimes you want a single source honey which can not be found locally. I have purchased some single source honey from folks in New Jersey and the product, price and customer service is excellent:

http://www.fruitwoodorchardshoney.com/index.html

Here is a mead that many have made and it will be ready to drink fairly quickly....I hope to make some soon and try it:

Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and Spice Mead

It is so simple to make and you can make it without much equipment and with a multitude of variations. This could be a first Mead for the novice as it is almost fool proof. It is a bit unorthodox but it has never failed me or the friends I have shared it with. (snip)...it will be sweet, complex and tasty.

1 gallon batch

3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
Balance water to one gallon

Process:

Use a clean 1 gallon carboy

Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy

Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen, put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)(The yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's)( Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
additional feeding --- NO NO
More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that) (You are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (Like in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80). If it didn't work out... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away) . If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.
If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and make good ancient mead.

Batch #2 for me and it will also be bottled shortly and placed in the cellar for aging:

Valley Brew's Orange Blossom Cyser

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 289pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=385 border=0 x:str>
<COLGROUP>
<COL style="WIDTH: 289pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 14080" width=385><T>
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 289pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt" width=385 height=20 ="xl22">4 gals Natural Apple Juice (no sorbates)</TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17 ="xl22">14 lbs Orange Blossom Honey (not heated)</TD></TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20 ="xl22">3 tabs Yeast Nutrient, 2 tsp Yeast Energizer</TD></TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20 ="xl22">

7.5 oz California raisins, 5 oz California dates</TD></TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20 ="xl22">5 oz Zante Currents, 3 oz dried cherries, 3 oz dried cranberries</TD></TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20 ="xl23">

10 grams Lalvin D-47 yeast (rehydrated and pitched after 15 mins)

Honey was not heated just warmed up to get it out of the container. The fruit (no SO2) was chopped up very well and added after make up was complete and SG was taken.

Starting SG 1.128 @ 78 Degrees</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Thanks Masta,

I will also try one of your recipes...looks so simple, maybe this weekend....What is the alcohol outcome....?

I guess I should have Curtis bring a bottle home from Spec's(wine store where he works) and give it a try..never had it.

Ramona

Based on the alcohol tolerance of the yeast used I believe the alcohol is roughly 14% on the two batches I posted here...it is quite hot to the taste now but I hope it will mellow with aging.

I know 4 months in the carboy made a world of difference in the taste from the initial racking to secondary.

One point to remember with making mead is that honey does not contain the nutrients like grapes do,so you must add enough for the yeast to do it's job. I used the dried fruits also for this reason as they add nutrients for the yeast and also another level of flavor I hope!

Thanks Masta....I am going to give it a whirl and see what happens. May even come up with a gasoline alternative
smiley4.gif

Startedmy Mead this morning. Decided to go with the "Plain Jane" Mead to get a feel/taste for unadulterated Mead. The SG was 1.095 at a temperature of 85 degrees, after I got all the ingrediants from the recipe mixed up. I will check it again in the morning and adjust if necessary before I pitch the yeast ( Red Star Cote des Blancs) "Which George sent to me at no chargewith an order I had already placed"
smiley20.gif

2005-09-10_042315_mead_started_91005.jpg

Hi Waldo,

What time do you get up in the morning?

What kind of honey did you use? What container is that? Looks good, I think I'm really going to enjoy mine around Thanksgiving or Christmas. I only made one gallon as a test....will probably wish I made 6...... Did you start a label yet?

Ramona

Hey Ramona. I am up every day between 2-2:30AM. Sometimes a little earlier but never later. The honey was acquired from a family friend who has been in the businessfor years. The container is a food storage container I picked up at Wal-Mart. It works great for fermenting small batches. I drilled a hole in the top to attach an airlock. As for the label, keeping in mind taht I am making this for my daughter, here are the two I have designed and cant decide which to use. I think I will go with the consenus of feedback from forum members.

2005-09-10_172900_mead_label.jpg

2005-09-10_172947_mead_label_2.jpg

Hopethe Meadturns out good!!

Waldo,

I like the one with the honeycomb. Your daughter looks very pretty.

I'm sure she would like either one. What type of pollen is the honey from. I used Texas Cotton Blossom...had a very distinct fragrance because of the specific flowers.

My dad is a beekeeper and has been since I was a little girl in W.Va. he has about 18 hives.He ususally takes it to the flea market and sells it...I have pictures of us helping him process it. I will have to find those and post them. He makes wine too. I'll ask him to send me some honey......but he is a procrastinator so if I ask for it now I might get it for a Chrlistmas present. Here is one picture.
2005-09-10_183659_DAD_AND_ZACH_CHECKING_HONEY_Small.jpg
2005-09-10_184207_CABIN,_W.VA._Small.jpg
He has all kinds of fruit trees and grape vines in the fenced area....his orchard...

2005-09-10_184503_MAKING_APPLEBUTTER_Small.jpg
here we are making apple butter in a 100 year old copper pot. It was great!!!!

2005-09-10_184824_CABIN,TROUT_POND,_W.VA_Small_Small.jpg
Cabin in WVA in winter. He has 3 ponds and raises rainbow and brown trout from eggs. He also built a weir(sp) where the trout can swim to and lay eggs themselves. I miss this place!! He taps maple trees too...

Edited by: rgecaprock

I am sure it is a mixture of different pollens Ramona but it is primarily clover. Autrey has probably 125 hives currently. His honey is carried by most of the grocery stores in Malvern and he ships it all over the country.

Very cool pics of the cabin and everything else. Ireally like the one making the apple butter Mmmmmmmm. Does your Dad still make it? What ever posessed you to leave that place
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back