Making Wine! First Time!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickF

Still new
Reaction score
downloadlp.jpg

I got bored and began making my own wine in my closet.
I used 5 cups of granulated sugar
1 can welches grape
1 packet yeast (lalvin red wine)
3ish quarts of water

Second batch is
I used 5 cups of granulated sugar
1 can frozen cranberry (lalvin red wine)
1 packet yeast
3ish quarts of water

After about a week, I hit them with Pectic Enzyme, campden tablets, and yeast energizer. I let it sit since the 8th, and it's still going on. The balloons are still inflated pretty good. I hit them with some more energizer today, and they are going strong now.

I just ordered some 1 gallon carboys and a Hydrometer, going to transfer them and see where I'm at. I plan on running it through a coffee filter in a sanitized funnel, rather than siphoning it the first time, to get all the heavy sediment.
After a week or so I'm going to hit it with Sparkolloid, and then a week later I'm going to start racking. I hope to have it bottled in 2.5-3 more weeks.

Am I doing ok for my first time? Any comments on my plan?

well I'm glad to hear your are buying come glass jugs and a hydrometer. You need to get some airlocks as well. Get yourself a primary bucket, you shouldn't be using those jugs, they are not made for fermentation.

You need to slow down, you are moving too fast. Get a racking cane for tranfer, and rack into your carboys as soon as your carboys come in. Then leave it alone until itis done fermenting, do not add sparkolloid. And no more energizer, you don't need it. Once it is done fermenting, rack and stabilize (adding k-meta & sorbate if backsweetening.) If you are backsweetening use another can of whatever flavor your wine is. How much juice did you start with anyway?

Latest posts

Back