WineXpert HELP Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc NZ has two diff Yeasts!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
Happy Labor Day!

I bottled two six carboys and thought I would start my WE Eclipse Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc since I had all the equip sterilized. I opened the SB and there are two yeast packets, I'm sure this is a mistake. EC 1118 and K1 V1116. Instructions say to put in packet, not packets, but which one? I'm stuck now, don't know how to proceed....will it make any difference? (The Chardonnay has the EC 1118 only.

Looking for quick answers so I can continue.

Thanks!

I'll give the slightly longer answer. The EC118 is an insurance policy, but sadly, doesn't bring much to the party. I'm going to go against Ted's advice and say pitch the K1 V116 and let it ride. If it stalls, pitch the EC1118. I've done this kit pitching both yeasts (almost) at the same time and with just the K1V116 and I liked the results w/ the single yeast far better.

Several of the Eclipse kits come with two different yeasts. Sorry I don't recall the reasoning provided by Tim Vandergrift but I don't think it was the reason that Boatboy provided.

Perhaps somebody can provide the link to Tim V's comment.

Steve

Like boatboy said the ec1118 is an insurance policy, use the k1- 1116, it will bring out the fruit forward notes, i use 1116 alot and had never had an issue going dry with it but if its an expensive kit and you want the insurance id pitch the 1116 until you get to 1.040sg and then hydrate the 1118 and add a bit of your wine into it and pitch it in an hour after its.been hydrated and youve added some of the wine to it, the 1118 will ensure your wine ferments dry and you will get some of the benefits of the 1116. Keep in mind the K1 in the 1116 got its name from being one of the first killer yeasts if im not mistaken so i dont think you will have any issues going dry if you choose to only use 1116. If you decide to pitch both at the beginning theres a strong chance the 1116 wont be able to compete with the 1118 and the 1118 will take over and be the primary yeast culture in your wine. But you cant go wrong either way, i use both, both will get the job done, ive personally noticed a slighly smoother finished product using 1116, but i also use 1118 on pricier kits to ensure i dont get a stalled fermentation.

Last edited:
I'm also in the "pitch the one you like first, save the other for if your fermentation stalls," camp.

I had a conversation with a customer service rep for WE once and they basically said that if you pitch at the same time, the more robust E1118 will overshadow the other. So, I asked if I should pitch the one I liked and keep the E1118 in reserve. She said that lots of folks do it that way.

Include me in the only pitch the good one, the EC1118 adds nothing unless you get a stuck fermentation.

Thanks for all your replies!
I wanted to read more about the K1 before I decided. I am going to pitch the K1, because it supports the fruit forward traits of the SB. That yeast is as strong as the 1118, a killer yeast, so I'm not worried about stalling, but have it just incase.
Starting it tomorrow!

I'm also in the "pitch the one you like first, save the other for if your fermentation stalls," camp.

I had a conversation with a customer service rep for WE once and they basically said that if you pitch at the same time, the more robust E1118 will overshadow the other. So, I asked if I should pitch the one I liked and keep the E1118 in reserve. She said that lots of folks do it that way.

Agree!
1116 is a monster similar to 1118 but it is better to bring the fruit aroma as lots of people say. Really no reason to use 1118.
I would try D47 or Q23 for whites.

Pitching both is what WE wants you to do.

I started a WE Burnello just yesterday that came with 2 EC-1118 packets (perhaps the kit should have contained one packet not being EC-1118?). Like your instructions these instructions say to pitch package not packages. WE, I feel, should update their instructions to be more specific for kits containing two yeast packets. WE instructions do say, concerning oak packets, that if you have two of the same use both.

BTW, I pitched both packets even though I know one would have done the job.

Agree, Bill, that the instructions are ambiguous, for beginners at least. WE did respond and say to use both, but from recommendations here and my own research, I think the one is enough and the best for what I want. If it stalls, I have the backup 1118. Fun times.

Fermenting observations, five days out.
Sav Blanc with K1-V1116 yeast SG at 1.010, light pale minimal foam, still sizzling below surface, dry taste. Fermenting in big pail.
Chard with EC1118 yeast still heavily foaming, generating heat, darkish thick layer of foam and SG at 1.020, still tasting sweet. Fermenting in Big Mouth Bubbler fermentor.
Planning to rack both to carboys on day seven for secondary, if Chard is good to go, if not will just rack SB.
Thoughts, comments?

Latest posts

Back