Skittle Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the input, I made some a few months ago. Guess I better get busy and start emptying those bottles. It is pretty tasty right now ☺

Yup.It appears it does not age! Enjoy it when it tastes good to you

Not sure if thread is still active but having read all 39 pages twice I am starting a 3 gallon batch now.
Used method of freezing and grinding skittles in food processor until a powder then added to boiling water and it was quite simple and no goop hassle with stirring to dissolve. Freezer for three hours to garden and skim wax off top repeated twice but some stlll remains. Using welches white grape peach concentrate. Hoping for some springtime skittles wine!

Last edited:
Also measured out precisely equal amounts of each color. Pictures show ground up skittles and after first and final freeze to remove wax.

IMG_20161028_021938.jpg

IMG_20161028_020337.jpg

IMG_20161028_021251.jpg

IMG_20161029_033811.jpg

IMG_20161029_033836.jpg

IMG_20161029_071026.jpg

IMG_20161029_074437.jpg

Having good luck so far with a very active fermentation. Did foam ovér on me and was thankful for prior post having mentioned this happening as my foam over was with it in the sink!

How are things going with your skittle wine, Marslaura? I just started mine last night, added the yeast this afternoon :)

Looks good!
It is a good tasting wine. Definitely can taste the candies.Just don't age it too long!

Also love your name! Laura Mars was a Faye Dunaway movie back in the 70's about a photographer.
I think it was called The Eyes of Laura Mars or something like that

I know this thread is older, but I'm sure there are others like me who go back and read these. :)

I picked out all the green Skittles. They're apple now. Apple skittles are gross. And instead of Welch's grape, I used limemade, 8oz per gallon, to make up for the lack of lime skittles. :D It's bubbling away, it tastes awesome, just the right amount of limeyness without overpowering the skittles, and it's pink. I waited a day to pitch yeast because the limeade had some preservatives.

Keep me in the loop on this wine!! I want to make!

I know this thread is older, but I'm sure there are others like me who go back and read these. :)

I picked out all the green Skittles. They're apple now. Apple skittles are gross. And instead of Welch's grape, I used limemade, 8oz per gallon, to make up for the lack of lime skittles. :D It's bubbling away, it tastes awesome, just the right amount of limeyness without overpowering the skittles, and it's pink. I waited a day to pitch yeast because the limeade had some preservatives.

I just started my first Skittle wine about 4 weeks ago and now wish I had read this whole thread through first. The wax in the primary was a messy nightmare to clean up. Freezer to remove most of the wax next time. My biggest goof was the pectolase. After looking all over the supermarket for pectolase I asked a couple of ladies in the baking isle what pectolase was and they both guessed pectin. So that's what went into this batch! I am also having a bit of trouble getting it to clear so added chitosan yesterday and within hours there was a 1" layer of lees on the bottom of the 6 gallon carboy. It's still pretty cloudy however and not sure if I should proceed with the Amylase or Bentonite or adding the Pectic Enzyme at this time. Or maybe a combinination?? Any suggestions?

After a stuck fermentation that I just couldn't get going again, I racked my second batch of skittles wine to carboy and added kmeta. I was slightly worried because the color was beginning to change, oxidation? Now, a few days later, my skittles is changing from a beautiful pink red to white. My last batch cleared red. I haven't seen any information on wine losing pigmentation, any ideas?

After a stuck fermentation that I just couldn't get going again, I racked my second batch of skittles wine to carboy and added kmeta. I was slightly worried because the color was beginning to change, oxidation? Now, a few days later, my skittles is changing from a beautiful pink red to white. My last batch cleared red. I haven't seen any information on wine losing pigmentation, any ideas?

I'm no skittle wine expert, but we add tannins to the fermenter in grape wines to bind the color, along with maintaining proper acid concentrations. Whether that works in skittles, I cannot say. Using food coloring after the wine has cleared seems to me to be the best option for this particular batch...

I checked my recipe, and while I did add tannin initially, the day after mixing the must my SG was sky high and I had to water it down quite a bit before pitching yeast, and I didn't add any additional chemicals. So I was degassing a bit yesterday and I added a touch more tannin with my sparkolloid, and now it is clearing red (redder, anyway). All the red had literally "fallen out" into the lees, which I stirred back up yesterday when adding my clearing agent. I don't understand it but I'll take it.

Ok I have 2 gallons going o9f skittle wine going, I raked it off last night and I'm now getting ready to do at least 5 gallons more.

The color is a muddy brown but does it ever smell and taste good.

I used danda's recipe but doubled it for the 2 gallons. I added the recipe and converted it to ounces and pounds.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82751&postcount=15

All Ingredients are per gallon
3/4 pounds of skittles
2 1/4 pounds of sugar
8.4 oz grape concentrate
1 tsp pectolase
Tannin
Nutrient
1 tsp acid blend or citric acid
Yeast

Pour the Skittles in a jug or bowl, pour over 2 pints of boiling water. Make sure that it boiling as you need to kill off all the preservatives.
Keep stirring, it will go into a gooey stodge but it will dissolve
add the sugar.
When cool to room temperature add the rest of ingredients
Put into a clean demi john.
Top up to shoulders of demi john with cold water. Fit an airlock and leave to ferment. This may take a few days or a couple of weeks depending on the temperature.
During this time you will get a orangey colour scum, this is ok.
When the bubbles stop coming through the airlock, or slow down to about one every 2 minutes.
Siphon off into a clean demi john. You may need to strain the wine to get rid of some bits left over.
Add 1 campden tablet and potassium sorbate.
Leave to clear.
When clear, siphon into a clean demi john or bottle.
Leave it a couple of weeks then add a campden before bottling.

Is anyone still making this? I think mine may be infected. I cooled it in a freezer (did not freeze) and I have been skimming it daily. Every day I open it to find this.DSCN3337.JPG It's a pretty bright yellow, like sulfur.

Thanks for replying. I got the wax off via chilling, it was hard wax. This is a greasy slime. It did smell like creosote, but all grape smells like that to me. Now it smells like a strange wine, but not really bad like bacteria soup.

ETA: it's 16 days from the start of primary.

Latest posts

Back