My $10 bottle filler

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
This is my last wine project for a while. I took an old Vacu-vin, $1.49 worth of aluminum tubing from Hobby Lobby, a 1x2x6 and 1x6 piece of oak, some hot glue and wood glue.

filler1.jpg

filler2.jpg

filler3.jpg

filler4.jpg

filler5.jpg

I find aluminum imparts a metallic taste to water, so I make sure my water bottles for biking are all FG stainless. You might want to be careful with hobbly lobby aluminum tube and wine

I find aluminum imparts a metallic taste to water, so I make sure my water bottles for biking are all FG stainless. You might want to be careful with hobbly lobby aluminum tube and wine

thanks ... I think it will be good, I'll be sure to sanitize it good ... 6" of tubing and 10 sec. of contact time per bottle ... also aluminum is common in the plumbing industry so I'm not concerned.

thanks ... I think it will be good, I'll be sure to sanitize it good ... 6" of tubing and 10 sec. of contact time per bottle ... also aluminum is common in the plumbing industry so I'm not concerned.

actually aluminun is not common in the plumbing industry, it is copper, plastic or galvanized iron

I agree with airplanedoc, you should probably stay away from aluminum whenever possible

A couple of $2 racking canes and a heat gun should get you there cheap!

Nice setup

Also, water is much less acidic then wine and that difference there is big!!!! Great job on the design, just switch those fittings to stainless or just stay with the racking hose instead of metal.

Also, water is much less acidic then wine and that difference there is big!!!! Great job on the design, just switch those fittings to stainless or just stay with the racking hose instead of metal.

Thanks ... yea, it will be easy to remove the hot glue.

Nice Work

My compliments on your carpentry skills. Oak is a hard wood. You did a real nice job there.

Paul

Talked with my folks yesterday. They live off Callaghan & IH10. You guys are suffering for sure this Summer.......

Don't miss Tejas all that much this time of the year for sure!

It was crazy hot today ... 107 so I stayed inside most of the day

Talked with my folks yesterday. They live off Callaghan & IH10. You guys are suffering for sure this Summer.......

Don't miss Tejas all that much this time of the year for sure!

wow ... so close
next time your down we need to grab a bottle and share some stories.

rhoffart, How do you control the level of wine in the bottle? Do you turn a pump on and off or just break the seal?

The suction tube is the lower one ... so when the wine gets that tube it starts sucking wine. At that point you just lift the handle and break the seal and the wine will stop flowing. If I set the vacuum pump at its lowest level it takes a few seconds longer to fill the bottle but you can stop it without sucking any wine.

On the highest setting it took about 8 sec. to fill ... on the lowest setting it took about 12 sec. to fill. Plenty fast for me.

wow ... so close
next time your down we need to grab a bottle and share some stories.

Lets do. I went to JMHS class of 76. UTSA class of 1980. I plan on coming down for a visit once it "cools off" a bit. Folks are getting up there. Dad is 79, Mom is 78 so I like to get home a couple times a year as they don't travel much anymore do to health problems. I'll bring some wine to share/swap!

Latest posts

Back