wine additives

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marathon

Reaction score
After reading about the use of mega purple and other substances in commercial wines. I personally had thought about experimenting with flavour essences etc on my homemade wine. I noticed the threads on adding zest to wine to enhance the cheap kit wines.
I thought, what if I added a little gooseberry essence to my white wine to give a more pronounced sauvignon blanc or a nice little peach essence to create a more tropical note.
My question is, has anybody gone down this 'road' and what have the results been like?
My other question of course is how far have the commercial products been doctored, to give a particular result and are we drinking a wine, that is a result of extremely careful blending with tiny amounts of 'interesting' things, that make wine taste as we might expect from the label.

Last edited:
My other question of course is how far have the commercial products been doctored, to give a particular result and are we drinking a wine, that is a result of extremely careful blending with tiny amounts of 'interesting' things, that make wine taste as we might expect from the label.

This is not, in general, allowed in the US. Here is a list of things that you may add (in the US) to wine:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=e616cf652c2a16d768ed4c4873ad2cb0&rgn=div8&view=text&node=27:1.0.1.1.19.12.343.7&idno=27

Latest posts

Back