Tweeking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horkalugi

Global Paradigm Advisor
Reaction score
I have a Costco double pak, Merlot/Cab Sav. I've just bottled the same kits I started 2 months ago and the results at the corker are pretty good, considering.

For the paks "on deck", I am thinking of adding some fresh fruit syrup to the primary to see if I can change the complexion a little.

I have strawberry, apricot, peach, cherry and blackberry and would like to know how much to add and what would be best or not recommended.

I'm under the impression that you can't screw up too much if you add 250 ml per batch and work from there.
n
The syrups contain sugar, fruit juice, dextrose, citric acid, natural flavoring and potassium sorbate.

The sorbate may cause issues with the fermentation, although there is probably not enough to stop the ferment is you are only adding a cup of the syrup. Just in case, you could add it after the ferment is going, say two days after adding the yeast.

I would add the cherry or blackberry to a red because I suspect they would be complementary to the red. Similarly apricot or peach to a white, and strawberry to a blush. That is how the flavours are used with the mist wine kits.

Steve

I think the cherry and blackberry would compliment the merlot/cab the best...save the appricot/peach/strawberry for a white wine. You just have to add to taste, it's all subjective.

Since these syrups have sorbate in them, use a yeast starter to make sure it has a good foothold, then pitch it into the liquid.

I usually add the syrups after fermentation to add flavor/sweetness, so that might be something to consider as well.

Peace,
Bob

these kits are very weak, make them 5 gallon, you will be glad you did

these kits are very weak, make them 5 gallon, you will be glad you did

Actually the kits I just bottled were OK. My wife and her friends like the Merlot Lite and it seems to mature quick, which will save my expensive kits from being consumed before their time.

I am still waiting on a Costco cheap merlot that was started with a grape skin pak after its initial use in a Old Vine Zinf. kit.

I'll take your advice of adding less water but leaving a full gallon out would create head space problems. I'll start with 5 1/2 and then 5 gallons when I have a better supply of filler wine.

Thanks all for the fruit syrup combo suggestions.

Latest posts

Back