What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I so appreciate WMT for providing a forum for such things. I’d love to make the mid Atlantic meet, but that might be more difficult than Europe.

New to the cellar since last I posted (and I do mean CELLAR, since my Vinotemp remains broken):

Bodegas Volver Tarima Hill Old Vines 2015
Chateau Mayne Vieil 2014
Alamos Malbec 2016
Ruca Malen Yauquen Bonarda 2013
Domaine Lafege Batide Miraflors Vieilles Vignes 2014
Tapiz Alta Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
Yalumba The Triangle Block Shiraz Viognier 2013
Kilikanoon Killerman's Run Shiraz 2013
Tilia Malbec 2016
Carletto Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 2014

The last came in just in time and is most exciting to me, since it is produced in the region of Italy from which my adoptive grandparents emigrated. I can only hope the old winemaker is looking down and approves of my choice. I have never tasted Montepulciano grapes before. We will have the first bottle of this on Christmas Day, which used to always be a big family gathering at my grandparents' house.

abruzzo.jpg

G&G DiIULIO.PNG

The last came in just in time and is most exciting to me, since it is produced in the region of Italy from which my adoptive grandparents emigrated. I can only hope the old winemaker is looking down and approves of my choice. I have never tasted Montepulciano grapes before. We will have the first bottle of this on Christmas Day, which used to always be a big family gathering at my grandparents' house.

This calls for a little Hemmingway: https://archive.org/stream/farewelltoarms01hemi/farewelltoarms01hemi_djvu.txt

"It is never hopeless. But sometimes I cannot hope.
I try always to hope but sometimes I cannot."

"Maybe the war will be over."

"I hope so."

"What will you do then?"

"If it is possible I will return to the Abruzzi."

His brown face was suddenly very happy.

"You love the Abruzzi !"

"Yes, I love it very much."

"You ought to go there then."

As it turns out, the wine tastes young and raw - in need of cellaring. Two years may mature it well.

D1B176FC-4CC7-415A-AC36-9156D69CEC97.jpeg Found this at Costco yesterday while buying tax software. $33, unfortunately I only found one bottle.

Dark Northwest blueberries, cherries, and currants with new French oak and savory earthiness fill the glass of this ripe youthful wine. Aromas of coffee and crème brûlée complement the dominant ripe Merlot flavors. Supported by 5% Cabernet Franc for aromatic brightness, Cabernet Sauvignon’s tannic intensity vies with the voluptuous Merlot for attention in this dynamic wine.

Silver Medal Winner at San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
Scored 93 points from Wine Spectator
Scored 92 points from Wine Enthusiast and The Wine Advocate

I was in a San Antonio last week and Costco had a whole bin of them for $29. That’s less than my $35 Bookwalter wine club member price. I brought two more bottles home for the cellar and a couple more for Xmas gifts.

View attachment 45589 Found this at Costco yesterday while buying tax software. $33, unfortunately I only found one bottle.

Dark Northwest blueberries, cherries, and currants with new French oak and savory earthiness fill the glass of this ripe youthful wine. Aromas of coffee and crème brûlée complement the dominant ripe Merlot flavors. Supported by 5% Cabernet Franc for aromatic brightness, Cabernet Sauvignon’s tannic intensity vies with the voluptuous Merlot for attention in this dynamic wine.

Silver Medal Winner at San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
Scored 93 points from Wine Spectator
Scored 92 points from Wine Enthusiast and The Wine Advocate

Costco blind buy yesterday. $7.99 Review on Costcowineblog is that it is good but not outstanding for the price paid. Into the cellar it will go to gather a little "dust on the bottle" as they say.

1176383.jpg

So HAPPY to have found more bottles of the 2013 Jim Barry -The Lodge Hill Shiraz in New York! Shipped to my door, they were $2.75 less EACH than my local store wanted to order the (IMO lesser) 2014 vintage for me. Just arrived. One for now, the rest in the cellar!

wine 001.jpg

Got notification the other day from Sleight if Hand that the 2017 "And Why Am I Mr. Pink" Rose is available for pre-order at $120/case. I'm very tempted.

Have you had any of that? I got case last year and only have two bottles left. Definitely a case buy for $10 a bottle.

Got notification the other day from Sleight if Hand that the 2017 "And Why Am I Mr. Pink" Rose is available for pre-order at $120/case. I'm very tempted.

Have you had any of that? I got case last year and only have two bottles left. Definitely a case buy for $10 a bottle.

I haven't had it. Figure shipping will probably add $2/bottle to that cost. Still, $12 isn't bad at all - especially if it is good.

Stocking up while I can! Was able to snag another bottle of the WS #2 wine of the year (which is really the #1 wine LOL) K Vintners Powerline Syrah. My secret source is now officially OOS!

IMG_3088.jpg

5FC75440-893C-4849-A098-832A30626CBA.png 2BDF3F47-8BE2-4CE5-B998-80CF77CABA31.jpeg Got an email last week from one of the online stores we buy wine from, highlighting their top 5 wines of 2017, based upon price and quality. Number 2 was Mount Peak Gravity, which we’d already found, but couldn’t resist #5 at under $30 per bottle, 2013 Bootleg Proprietary Red Blend. Hope to get it labeled and shelved this evening and give one a try in a week or two.

Is it wrong to spend stock profits on wine? :D

On the way:

At the enthusiastic recommendation of an oenophile friend in California:

Ancient Peaks Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
Ancient Peaks Paso Robles Merlot 2015
Ancient Peaks Paso Robles Zinfandel 2015

I had a dickens of a time finding someplace that would ship it to me (the winery won't), then when I finally did, several of my most wanted selections were sold out. So we will try these.

And also coming:

St. Francis Old Vines Zinfandel 2014
Chateau St. Roche Chimeres Cotes Du Roussillon Villages 2015

Will try for pix on arrival.

Well, now after accepting my order for Chateau St. Roche Chimeres Cotes Du Roussillon Villages 2015, supplier emails and says they found 0 bottles in stock but they are working to see if they can fill it - someday. :ft

It's end of vintage, so I am not hopeful.

Latest posts

Back