OK, So who's with me????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right!

Now we are getting somewhere. We have ceeaton and boatboy so far!

anyone else??

Love to join but vacation is March so that is just not compatible. Maybe I'll start my 40 after Easter!

Ha! We had something similar growing up in South Fort Worth.

I ended up moving just outside of New Orleans for about a year and a half. (Oct '85 - June '87) I absolutely hated the schools there, but I was happy to have menu changes! That is where I fell in love with Cajun food. Although, the one thing both schools offered occasionally that I still love was Shepard's Pie. I occasionally go in search of an Irish restaurant so that I can have it. Not sure why I never really learned to make it.

I think I will put that on the TODO list for next weekend.

Whoops, sorry for hijacking the thread.

...now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Ha! North Foat Wurth here! I don't remember what they served in high school....I always went to the Clown Burger or Griff's.

I do have a red blend I'm eager to start, but I can work on it without indulging. Hmmm...

That's my issue. I have most of my batches needing a racking in the next 40 days. May just slowly add some Kmeta and get busy racking after Easter. Bottling a few batches of beer won't be as much of a problem as I add some corn sugar before bottling so they'll carbonate in the bottle and that usually renders them "yuck" for a few weeks. I'm moving my four kegs to the basement this morning before buses/work and hiding the taps, may take them to my brother's house so that there is at least some effort involved if I do decide it's time to cheat. I'm needing to refill my CO2 bottle, so I may just leave it in that state to further secure the keg beer and sparkling wine. Now I just have to find some locking airlocks for my carboys so I can't tip in a moment of weakness.

For those that are in the midst of a batch, you guys could always do the sip-swirl-spit method. This way, you can taste wine without actually consuming any...

That being said, Can I count @temperanceOWL in??

Oh, and Catholic high school in NJ for me. We had one dish, chicken cream of wheat, that was just as bad as it sounds. We used to call it "Bloop" (the sound it made while cooking).

Last edited:
In Germany they make an especially strong beer During the lent season (Salvator Bier) which shall sustain life durin the 40 day fast. They do not however stop drinking...

Cheers!
-johann

Ha! North Foat Wurth here! I don't remember what they served in high school....I always went to the Clown Burger or Griff's.

Oh man, I used to love Griff's! Never ate at Clown Burger. Actually, I can't even recall that joint.

Every time I go back to visit family in the D/FW area. I cannot even recognize that place it has changed so much since I left in Jan 2005. North Loop 820/183 is like a whole other city!

We had Griff's in San Antonio as well! Went there many a time as a kid. They are all gone now except for one on the very bad side of town. Whataburger seems to have taken over SA for the most part now.

Oh man, I used to love Griff's! Never ate at Clown Burger. Actually, I can't even recall that joint.

Every time I go back to visit family in the D/FW area. I cannot even recognize that place it has changed so much since I left in Jan 2005. North Loop 820/183 is like a whole other city!

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 8.02.40 AM.jpg

That's my issue. I have most of my batches needing a racking in the next 40 days. May just slowly add some Kmeta and get busy racking after Easter. Bottling a few batches of beer won't be as much of a problem as I add some corn sugar before bottling so they'll carbonate in the bottle and that usually renders them "yuck" for a few weeks. I'm moving my four kegs to the basement this morning before buses/work and hiding the taps, may take them to my brother's house so that there is at least some effort involved if I do decide it's time to cheat. I'm needing to refill my CO2 bottle, so I may just leave it in that state to further secure the keg beer and sparkling wine. Now I just have to find some locking airlocks for my carboys so I can't tip in a moment of weakness.

If I truly 'need' to taste something, I don't hesitate. I'm not going to have any guilt over less than an ounce (unless I'm taste testing 12 wines at a time :)). Most of the time though, a simple sniff is sufficient and the taste can wait a few weeks. Or as John said, swirl and spit. I'm not a fan of that though, as I feel you miss out on the finish. I'll be bottling a WS Amarone in the next week or two and will certainly take a taste of that before doing so.

We had Griff's in San Antonio as well! Went there many a time as a kid. They are all gone now except for one on the very bad side of town. Whataburger seems to have taken over SA for the most part now.

Mike, their website shows one south of y'all.
8516 Central SE

Albuquerque, NM 87108

They do have very good hamburgers and there is one in Garland only a few miles from where I work. :db

My official Lenten sacrifice this year is on the food side, I'll be fasting today and then giving up all foods that you can't grow, pick or kill. No processed stuff, just fruits, veggies, nuts, chicken, fish, etc. Been in Napa for a week, so refraining from alcohol will be a preference for quite a few days to come, don't even want to smell wine for a while. Left 1/3 of a bottle of 2014 Turley Zinfandel Judge Bell (RP-94) on the table last nite, just couldn't take another sip.

OMG your right! Completely overlooked that. That might be in even a worse location than the one in San Antonio! Think "Breaking Bad" part of town!

Mike, their website shows one south of y'all.
8516 Central SE

Albuquerque, NM 87108

They do have very good hamburgers and there is one in Garland only a few miles from where I work. :db

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 2.39.02 PM.jpg

OMG your right! Completely overlooked that. That might be in even a worse location than the one in San Antonio! Think "Breaking Bad" part of town!

You can handle it. Bring me a burger and fries when you go. (I already have a bottle of the Whataburger spicy ketchup!) :h

just 39 days to go!

images

Ok, @JohnT and others, I just had a lady I work with (a very devout Catholic) tell me she could partake of her lenten sacrifice on Sundays. I told her "no you can't, it's 40 days of fasting". So after a little interweb research, this appears.

Please do explain to grasshopper.

As the "no cheating" folks like to point out, Jesus did not come in from the desert on Sundays. But, here's the thing. When Jesus was in the desert, Sundays weren't Sundays yet. When Jesus went to the desert, he had not yet begun his ministry, he had not yet suffered his passion, he had not yet died for our sins and risen again on the third day. But once that very first Easter happened, Sundays became something set apart, something special. Each and every one is a feast.

The very earliest Christians recognized that. Medieval Christians were on board with it. Pre-Vatican II types knew a Sunday when they saw one, even in Lent. That's why, when you count up the days on the calendar, the season of Lent is NOT 40 days, it's 46 days. Because, from the very beginning of Lents, Sundays were not included as part of the Lenten fast.

It's not that fasting isn't REQUIRED on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation in Lent. It's actually FORBIDDEN.

Now, most of us do not fast from food except as required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Most of us choose to fast from something else, like sweets or television, instead. But that's still a fast. And fasts don't apply on Sundays.

We're not required to have sweets or watch TV on any particular Sunday, of course, so we're not required to seek them out on Sundays during Lent either. But if the opportunity arises to partake in a licit pleasurable activity on a Sunday during Lent, we shouldn't refrain because of our Lenten disciplines. Every Sunday is a little Easter. Every Sunday should feel like a celebration. If your Lenten discipline is a real, prayerful struggle, that's great. But Sunday isn't the place to struggle against licit pleasures.

She is correct.

I am choosing to make my alcohol fast a thing to benefit me, not a religious act. Because I have more free time on my hands not drinking and surfing this site, I plan on reading my Bible and hope to get through the Old Testament if not further by Easter (ie. my religious act is to become more familiar with the Bible, my personal act is to refrain from alcohol since I'm an alcoholic, and free up time for my religious pursuits).

Furthermore, I am doing it "straight through" so I can enjoy many drinks with my brothers on Good Friday as we are opening up our cabin on Pine Creek, which would not be an available drinking date if I took a break on the Sunday's throughout the lenten season.

She is correct.

I am choosing to make my alcohol fast a thing to benefit me, not a religious act. Because I have more free time on my hands not drinking and surfing this site, I plan on reading my Bible and hope to get through the Old Testament if not further by Easter (ie. my religious act is to become more familiar with the Bible, my personal act is to refrain from alcohol since I'm an alcoholic, and free up time for my religious pursuits).

Furthermore, I am doing it "straight through" so I can enjoy many drinks with my brothers on Good Friday as we are opening up our cabin on Pine Creek, which would not be an available drinking date if I took a break on the Sunday's throughout the lenten season.

So I take it your not making Cherry wine too.? :h

Ok, @JohnT and others, I just had a lady I work with (a very devout Catholic) tell me she could partake of her lenten sacrifice on Sundays. I told her "no you can't, it's 40 days of fasting". So after a little interweb research, this appears.

Please do explain to grasshopper.

As the "no cheating" folks like to point out, Jesus did not come in from the desert on Sundays. But, here's the thing. When Jesus was in the desert, Sundays weren't Sundays yet. When Jesus went to the desert, he had not yet begun his ministry, he had not yet suffered his passion, he had not yet died for our sins and risen again on the third day. But once that very first Easter happened, Sundays became something set apart, something special. Each and every one is a feast.

The very earliest Christians recognized that. Medieval Christians were on board with it. Pre-Vatican II types knew a Sunday when they saw one, even in Lent. That's why, when you count up the days on the calendar, the season of Lent is NOT 40 days, it's 46 days. Because, from the very beginning of Lents, Sundays were not included as part of the Lenten fast.

It's not that fasting isn't REQUIRED on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation in Lent. It's actually FORBIDDEN.

Now, most of us do not fast from food except as required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Most of us choose to fast from something else, like sweets or television, instead. But that's still a fast. And fasts don't apply on Sundays.

We're not required to have sweets or watch TV on any particular Sunday, of course, so we're not required to seek them out on Sundays during Lent either. But if the opportunity arises to partake in a licit pleasurable activity on a Sunday during Lent, we shouldn't refrain because of our Lenten disciplines. Every Sunday is a little Easter. Every Sunday should feel like a celebration. If your Lenten discipline is a real, prayerful struggle, that's great. But Sunday isn't the place to struggle against licit pleasures.
The Sabbath used to be on Saturday. (the 7th day) It was later changed to Sunday (the 1st day) during the Christianity integration into Roman society somewhere between the second and fourth century which post dates Jesus.

The period of lent is actually 46 days. This includes the 6 sundays that are not supposed to be part of lent. S0, lent is 40 days with 6 1-day breaks.

Like @ceeaton said, I too am taking this opportunity to go a nice length of time without alcohol. Much of the purpose would be defeated if I just went 6 days and then binged.

Keep in mind that this is just me and my own personal goal. Everyone should make their own rules. Say, for example, you wanted some bee on St. Pats. Who is to say that you can't??

This is the real hump

Ok guys,

Here we have perhaps the most difficult point in lent... the first weekend!

Stick with it guys! You can do this! have plenty of iced tea on hand and think calming thoughts.

Latest posts

Back