OK, So who's with me????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy Fat Tuesday everyone.

I am sure that most of you know that I take the pledge during lent.

Yup, in the spirit of the season, I give up all forms of alcohol.

Now I know that this normally goes over like a lead brick, but I have done this since I was 19. It was then that I saw my mother put into re-hab. It was a very traumatic and rather ugly time in my life. The good news is that my mother came out of re-hab and has never relapsed. It has been 35 years sober for her and I could not be more proud.

The whole experience has put the "don't let this happen to you" bug in me. Alcoholism runs in families, so I have a healthy respect for it. To this end, I never drink on a "school night" and I give it up completely for lent. The lent thing is more to find out just how hard it is to go without. So far, it has been a piece of cake.

So, here is my question (and I ask this each year). Who is with me? Who will also take the pledge?? It is only 40 days and just think how great wine will taste once lent is over and you are happy knowing that you are the master of your own domain.

I plan to go straight through for 40 days, so my lent will be from 3/1 through 4/9. This allows me to have wine on Easter weekend. Set your own rules and goals.

Last edited:
I'm really not religious, (Agnostic, not Atheist) but I believe keeping pledges like this are good for people. It helps validate that a person still has self control and builds inner strength through confidence once you successfully complete that pledge. (like setting goals helps drive people to do and get better)

I commend you on that.

I will not be doing this pledge as I was not prepared to do so and have "events" I've already scheduled. Like my monthly community wine tasting I host every month.

I'm really not religious, (Agnostic, not Atheist) but I believe keeping pledges like this are good for people. It helps validate that a person still has self control and builds inner strength through confidence once you successfully complete that pledge. (like setting goals helps drive people to do and get better)

I commend you on that.

I will not be doing this pledge as I was not prepared to do so and have "events" I've already scheduled. Like my monthly community wine tasting I host every month.

I am religious, but I do not do this for religious reasons.

You can still take the pledge.. You can just make that wine tasting your "Cheat day" and add an extra day on the end. Like I said, make your own rules.

Wow! Rather Quiet on this one. I distinctly hear crickets chirping.

How about you @boatboy24 @Julie @ibglowin @sour_grapes @ceeaton ?? What say ye?

Last edited:
I do it year round. I seldom have more than two drinks and I seldom drink two days in row....just my own creed.

Backstory on that creed. I thought it up sitting in a US Army lock up after a night of heavy drinking and fighting. I liked drinking and fighting back then. Truth told, I suspect I still do....I'm just not going to go back there and find out. One is never enough and fifty is too many...easier to just not go there. Ain't been locked since.

JohnT, I find it interesting that you do NOT do this for religious reasons. We do not observe Lent. However, I have always thought of it as a great way to help focus your thoughts on higher things, to Honor the sacrifice made for your salvation. Frankly, I suspect there is more religion involved than you admit.....and that is not a bad thing Brother. Self control is a vital part of good religion.

I am similar to Mismost. I observe moderation year round with my drinking and for that matter, most everything. I only drink on Friday and Saturday nights. Never deviate.

I am religious but don't observe lent. I live with self control year round.

Although I fully understand the concept behind lent, for me, and I am just speaking for me, it makes no sense to give something up to just go right back to it.

Just my .02

...It makes no sense to give something up to just go right back to it.

Without going too deep on the topic of religion, I was raised a Catholic and lent was always a bit of a tradition. The act of giving something up (as I have been taught) is supposed to mimic Jesus's 40 fast in the dessert following his baptism. The idea is to sacrifice something you love. I have to admit that I always liked the tradition.

My wife and I are "in". Won't be seeing me on here much the next 40 days, out of sight, hopefully out of mind (actually I think I'm outa my mind for attempting this, at least my wife is joining me).

WOOOOOHOOOO!!!

ceeaton, try stopping in once and a while for a little mutual support!

Without going too deep on the topic of religion, I was raised a Catholic and lent was always a bit of a tradition. The act of giving something up (as I have been taught) is supposed to mimic Jesus's 40 fast in the dessert following his baptism. The idea is to sacrifice something you love. I have to admit that I always liked the tradition.

Oh I totally get it, I was just explaining my thoughts on it.

WOOOOOHOOOO!!!

ceeaton, try stopping in once and a while for a little mutual support!

I'll need something to pass the time since I won't be enjoying my favorite pastime of tapping kegs and tipping carboys. The wine part will be easy and I see it as a chance for my wines to age another 40 days undisturbed. My recent re-acquaintance with home made beer will be my main issue. Just tapped a keg of a Guinness clone last night, guess that will be nice and aged by the time Holy Week rolls around. I plan on removing the taps and sequestering the kegs to the basement.

I have assembled a team of six people here at work to keep me accountable. Will be curious to see how the kids react to "if you see Dad with a beer tell Mom". I have a Church small group meeting tonight, may ask for anointing of oil and some laying of hands to help this along. It will take Godly intervention for me to make it 40 days. It's been years since I've made it past two weeks, so this should be good for my body and soul if I survive. My Welsh and German ancestors are rolling around right now in their graves just thinking about it, in horror.

At least I didn't give up chips, cookies and pizza, which my wife did. What was she thinking?

I was raised Catholic, but never was in the habit of giving anything up for Lent (except giving things up, of course). It isn't a religious thing for me, but rather a 'gut check'. If it becomes difficult, I know I have bigger work to do. Having so much wine around is a blessing and a curse, of course, and my consumption is certainly higher than it was before I started making. I'm in. This will be my 4th year. I give myself one or two 'cheat days' each time, based on 'occasions' that we have on the calendar. I won't be starting until Monday, however.

A few weeks ago, my wife asked me if I was doing this again this year. I said that since I don't typically drink on 'school nights' anymore, I've already given up 40 days this year. ;) She wasn't buying it and offered to give up shopping so we could 'be miserable' together. :D How could I resist?

It will take Godly intervention for me to make it 40 days. It's been years since I've made it past two weeks, so this should be good for my body and soul if I survive. My Welsh and German ancestors are rolling around right now in their graves just thinking about it, in horror.

I am willing to bet that you find it a lot easier than you think.

Funny how my entire K-12 school life was influenced by Catholics! Growing up in San Antonio, ~80% of the population being Catholic, every Friday at the school cafeteria K-12 was..... fish sticks...... The entire school year, not just during Lent. In fact you could always tell what day of the week it was by what was being served in the cafeteria. Same menu again, K-12 (same school district). Mondays, Hamburgers, Wednesday, Mexican food (enchiladas usually, sometimes tacos), Friday fish sticks. Only Tuesday and Thursdays were a rotating mess of whatever. Chicken fried steak, lasagna, every once in a while pizza.......

Funny how my entire K-12 school life was influenced by Catholics! Growing up in San Antonio, ~80% of the population being Catholic, every Friday at the school cafeteria K-12 was..... fish sticks...... The entire school year, not just during Lent. In fact you could always tell what day of the week it was by what was being served in the cafeteria. Same menu again, K-12 (same school district). Mondays, Hamburgers, Wednesday, Mexican food (enchiladas usually, sometimes tacos), Friday fish sticks. Only Tuesday and Thursdays were a rotating mess of whatever. Chicken fried steak, lasagna, every once in a while pizza.......

Ha! We had something similar growing up in South Fort Worth.

I ended up moving just outside of New Orleans for about a year and a half. (Oct '85 - June '87) I absolutely hated the schools there, but I was happy to have menu changes! That is where I fell in love with Cajun food. Although, the one thing both schools offered occasionally that I still love was Shepard's Pie. I occasionally go in search of an Irish restaurant so that I can have it. Not sure why I never really learned to make it.

I think I will put that on the TODO list for next weekend.

Whoops, sorry for hijacking the thread.

...now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I am willing to bet that you find it a lot easier than you think.

This weekend will be the killer for me. After that it will be easier, if I can keep the reduced calorie diet at a reduced level without the beverages, then I will definitely see a health improvement.

Wife and I plan on starting tomorrow (actually today, but who is counting) and going straight to April 9th, no cheat days in the mix. We will enjoy a glass of wine together after Palm Sunday services. I need to think up a special lunch...hmmm...ribeyes on charcoal sounds good.

This weekend will be the killer for me. After that it will be easier, if I can keep the reduced calorie diet at a reduced level without the beverages, then I will definitely see a health improvement.

Wife and I plan on starting tomorrow (actually today, but who is counting) and going straight to April 9th, no cheat days in the mix. We will enjoy a glass of wine together after Palm Sunday services. I need to think up a special lunch...hmmm...ribeyes on charcoal sounds good.

The first weekend is a little challenging - asking yourself 'why on earth would I do something so stupid!!??'. But after that, pretty easy peasy. My challenge is that with Valentine's Day usually closely preceding Lent, there is plenty of chocolate around the house. Its funny - usually i don't think about sweets, but as soon as lent hits, I find myself having a little bite of chocolate after dinner at night. :: So on Ash Wednesday, the weather is starting to warm and I have wonderful thoughts of doing more running and that, combined with a lack of booze, burning off a little of the winter insulation. Somehow, I find a way to compensate for the lost calories/carbs. :)

Last edited:
I am religious, but I do not do this for religious reasons.

You can still take the pledge.. You can just make that wine tasting your "Cheat day" and add an extra day on the end. Like I said, make your own rules.

Wow! Rather Quiet on this one. I distinctly hear crickets chirping.

How about you @boatboy24 @Julie @ibglowin @sour_grapes @ceeaton ?? What say ye?

I'm thinking about it...

I am Protestant and didn't grow up observing lent, but I like the idea and your challenge. And I'd like to lose a few pounds, and giving up wine couldn't hurt (unless I substitute with ice cream...). I'll let you know. I do have a red blend I'm eager to start, but I can work on it without indulging. Hmmm...

Latest posts

Back