One gallon batches??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
I was given about five pounds of frozen blueberries. Is making a one gallon batch really worth the trouble, or should I just start looking and hopefully find some more frozen berries?
Seems to me like all the trouble for three or four bottles isn't really worth it?

Its really a personal choice. Personally, I like one gallon batches and treat them like a science experiment. If I like the way it turns out then I just do a bigger batch the next time. People are right when they say its the same amount of work for a 1 gallon as it is for a 6 gallon. Thats alot of blueberries for a one gallon batch. You could make a 3 gallon batch I would think.

I think you should wait till you get more. Enough for at least a 3 gallon batch.
The work is the same and the cost is the same if you are getting them for free.
I feel its alot of work for maybe 4 bottles

I like gallon batches.. they finish quicker and are easy to handle.. Plus the additional bonus of experimenting without risking large quantities of ingredients.

Depends on whether you just like making the wine anyway. I don't find them any more work than a 5 gallon batch. ( bottling a 5 gallon batch takes forever.. a gallon is quick in comparison.)

oh and a gallon makes 6 bottles of wine.

Allie

I make alot of one gallon batches and I will get 5 bottles from a good gallon batch. I just did a blueberry and I used 5 lbs of blueberries and turned out fantastic! I always keep a gallon batch going all the time and I also do 3 gallon batches.:b

Dont like them here, more trouble then they are worth but to each their own and if you are new to wine making its a place to start to get used to it.

Oh meant to mention that my one gallon carboys hold 5 litres.. which is why I get 6 bottles and a half out of them.

Allie

One Gallons are only experiments for me. The work is what i ocupy my spare time with and it is why I call it a hobby. Hell if it was about hooch I wouldnt even scap off the old labels, I do this for enjoyment and to fill spare time. That being said I have 3x1gallon batchs (experiments) going. This is about playing around and I dump most. I have a walnut experiment going.

I would bottle it as a whole gallon, rather than trying to fill 750ml bottles.

i use 3 gallon batches for experiments. many times my experiments are blends. if it comes out good, we will blend 2 gallons or so into another wine and have 3~6 bottles of it to let age. it's a good way to find out if a wine is useful in different ways.

hehehe Luc,

I top up when racking, so usually end up with 6 and a half bottles out of the 5 litre.. I have some old carboys.. the ones with the two circle finger holes at the top?.. they only hold 4.5 litres ( six bottles)and I have some brown glass ones with one circle finger hole at the top.. they hold just under 4 litres.( 5 bottles). I prefer the 5 litre ones.

I just add a little extra to the recipes I make.

Allie

Back