What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blizzard today so perfect day for some wine fun. I ran sweetening trials on my king of the north batches and oaked chokecherry. Ended up with 1% sugar for the chokecherry and 3% for the KOTN batches. So, racked, sweetened and stabilized about 30 gallons today.

Also picked up a load of bottles this morning before the snow started from my friend's winery down the road. 19 cases of brand new clean bottles for ~$150. I'm ready to bottle!

Blizzard today so perfect day for some wine fun. I ran sweetening trials on my king of the north batches and oaked chokecherry. Ended up with 1% sugar for the chokecherry and 3% for the KOTN batches. So, racked, sweetened and stabilized about 30 gallons today.

Also picked up a load of bottles this morning before the snow started from my friend's winery down the road. 19 cases of brand new clean bottles for ~$150. I'm ready to bottle!

Greg nice buy on the bottles. Incidently did I tell you I washe my patio and furniture today. LOL

Dear Lord, snow???????? We had 60 today and 70 starting tomorrow

Well my step son just bought a house in North Carolina, 14 1/2 acres with a separate building that was a winemaking room and a smoke house attached. In the winemaking room, there are 3 carboys and I did not get a chance to see what other wine equipment was there but whatever is there will stay, it is now mine, woohoo. AND there is one hell of a mother of a vine growing in the backyard. I have no idea what it is but my step son will ask what it is, I'm thinking it is either concord or muscadine. If it is muscadine this is a jackpot! Plus there are about 8 cherry trees blooming in the backyard as well.

Well it is a jackpot!!!!!!! Grapes are noble and scuppernong. Plus two blueberry bushes and a peach tree. I am so excited! They are also going to leave any wine equipment for me. Cha Ching :r

I picked up my Chilean juice yesterday so spent the day warming it up and generally fussing over it waiting for that wonderful fermentation smell to permeate the whole house! I rigged up a pump to transfer the juice from the truck to the basement, filled 8 20 gallon brutes with 15 gallons each. One drum of Malbec the other is Carmenere.

0413131600.jpg

0413131601.jpg

0413131559a.jpg

0413131601a.jpg

DOH!!!! I found out that if I get my basement permitted as a bonded winery, I can't make any home made wine on the premises.

That certainly throws a wrench into the works....

I picked up my Chilean juice yesterday so spent the day warming it up and generally fussing over it waiting for that wonderful fermentation smell to permeate the whole house! I rigged up a pump to transfer the juice from the truck to the basement, filled 8 20 gallon brutes with 15 gallons each. One drum of Malbec the other is Carmenere.

Phil thats awesome. Did you get them at Luva Bella's?

Just placed an order for a few Madeliene Angevine Grape plants, a 'Cascade' Gold Raspberry, a 'Royalty' Purple Raspberry, and the PNW 'Wild' Strawberry

Almost rounded my fruit selections out, for my "Wine Yard";

Grapes - 'Riesling' & 'Madeliene Angevine'
Red Rasp. - 'Canby'
Gold Rasp. - 'Fall Gold' & 'Cascade'
Purple Rasp. - 'Royalty'
Blackberry - 'Apache'
Blueberry - 'Spartan' & 'Duke'
Strawberry - 'Wild'/'Native'
Elderberry - 'Blue'/'Wild'/'Native'

:h

Racked, cleared, stabilized, and back sweetened my sangria and moscato wines last night.

Need to transfer the Barbera from the primary to a carboy after work. Over the weekend I was down to 1.002 sg and haven't had time to transfer. Will do today.

Had to go and do an Eagle Scout review this evening for a young man who has been in the troop for 6 years. Congrats to him.

Unfortunately, the review lasted too long an I didn't have time to work on any wines, I did stop at the LHBS and purchase another wine thief and 2 carboy handles....

In preparation for an upcoming graduation party, I've brewed 6 batches of beer, I also started a montepulciano kit to be part of the barrel rotation.

Watching cartoons with my little one now. Crafton VFD's night at he races is tonight. Will be at the station from 4:00 until probably after midnight. Going to be a long day.

It has been a busy day in the winery today! Filtered and bottled 6 gallons Italian Barolo, 6 Gallons California Barolo, 6 Gallons California Merlot, 6 gallons Italian "Vino de Casa", 6 gallons California Cabernet Sauvignon and 6 gallons California Zinfandel Royale. I added raisins to each of the California wines and french oak to all.
Of course I had to sample each so now it is time for a nap!

yesterday taken up by buying a new, used car so my son can travel to his internship this summer. Today, my wife is off to walk her 10 miles in preparation for the Pittsburgh Half Marathon.

SOOOOOO.... having the house to myself, I'm going to work in the winery to finish some wines and free up some carboys to rack the Riesling, Cab Sauv, Merlot and Malbec....

At work today, but...

Yesterday, I racked, degassed and stabilized my Chilean Moscatel Alejandro (with apricots!), my Chilean Cab Sauv (with toasted oak and currants), and my Chilean Petit Syrah (with toasted oak and rasins). My clear WE Coastal White got racked onto several pounds of dried sweetened mangos, and my Black Sheep Semi-sweet Blackberry got bottled.

Note to self...I should have been mowing my grass! :slp

Last edited:
Chilean Muscadine Alejandro????????? Was that on the order form?

At work today, but...

Yesterday, I racked, degassed and stabilized my Chilean Muscadine Alejandro (with apricots!), my Chilean Cab Sauv (with toasted oak and currants), and my Chilean Petit Syrah (with toasted oak and rasins). My clear WE Coastal White got racked onto several pounds of dried sweetened mangos, and my Black Sheep Semi-sweet Blackberry got bottled.

100_1038.jpg

Note to self...I should have been mowing my grass! :slp

Oops! Got my muscadines mixed up with my moscatels. Corrected. Thanks, Julie! :w

I even used the wrong picture! I's tired today...:sl

Last edited:
Back