shelf life

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
i just received my first wine kit! It is Winexpert Selection series Merlot (15 liters juice). i am a beer brewer who is going to try out some wine making.

I won't be able to make it for at least a few weeks. How long can the juice sit in that bag without starting to make the wine worse? I have it in my basement at about 64 or 65 degrees.

Second question: Is there anyway to tell from the package how long ago the juice was put in the bag? Also, does the dry wine yeast that came with the kit need to be refrigerated or is the 64 degree basement good enough?

All the kits i have done have quite a shelf life and come with dried yeast. Dried yeast I believe is activated by moisture so should be unaffected by not being in a fridge. I have never bought a kit that had been sold from a fridge.

Coppied from another forum Posted by Tim Vandergrift from winexpert

Winexpert warrants it's kits for one year from the date of manufacture. You can read the date by looking for the peel-off sticker on the top of the box. It will read something like this: 04 320 03 12304 = 4th kit run of the production day320 = 320th day of the calendar year, in this case that's um, October 15th-ish. 03 = 2003123 = number of kit position in the run, i.e., 123rd out of about 600. All of our kits are dated this way.

Latest posts

Back