Vineco How long in primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlysting

Junior
Reaction score
I am doing a cheeky monkey sauvingnon blanc. After 7 days the airlock is still very active but the kit says move to secondary after 7 days. Do I let it slow down first or go ahead and rack it anyway?

Thanks

I am doing a cheeky monkey sauvingnon blanc. After 7 days the airlock is still very active but the kit says move to secondary after 7 days. Do I let it slow down first or go ahead and rack it anyway?

Thanks
I have made a lot of Vineco kits. My process is to check the sg in the primary after 7 days. If it's 1.005 or below, I move it to a carboy. If it's 1.005 or above, I stir gently, make sure that the primary is warm, and wait a couple of days.

You did not specify the sg of your wine, so I don't know what to suggest. If you don't know the sg because you don't have a hydrometer, I suggest that you get one.

BTW, my experience is that most Vineco kits are below 1.005 after 7 days if the temperature has been reasonable.

Steve

Last edited:
Most kits I've done that have me going to "secondary" will give an approx. no. of days to check SG and if =< a stated SG rack to "secondary". Believe my RJS WS kits state SG =< 1.020.

Back