Vineco KenRidge Showcase LE Shiraz Grenache

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zalai

Reaction score
I just picked up this Limited Release kit on Saturday . It came with the EC-1118 yeast pack . Should I replace it and what yeast would you use ?
Thank you,

20140126_183148.jpg

I am in favor of it! Have you done yeast swaps before? Do you have yeast energizer and yeast nutrients?

For my first swap, I did a "mild" swap, namely, RC212. This is widely available and, although it has moderately high nutrition requirements, it does not produce a lot of H2S. It is a recommended strain for Grenache, although it is not listed for Syrah.

Based on the links above, it seems like either RP15 or ICV-254 may be the best yeasts. Those are available at MoreWine. I have used both of them with no problems. I have not done a side-by-side comparison with another yeast, but the kits I have done with them are pretty dang tasty.

Last edited:
Based on the links above, it seems like either RP15 or ICV-254 may be the best yeasts. Those are available at MoreWine. I have used both of them with no problems. I have not done a side-by-side comparison with another yeast, but the kits I have done with them are pretty dang tasty.
Zalai:

You should specify which yeasts are available to you.

Morewine seems to charge 23.20 to ship a 1.95 pkg of yeast to Calgary. I'm guessing that's not a favoured choice.

Steve

It must be a nice tasteful combination.....need to get me a commercial bottle to give it a try..

Last edited:
I just picked up this Limited Release kit on Saturday . It came with the EC-1118 yeast pack . Should I replace it and what yeast would you use ?
Thank you,

While I'm all in favor of informed yeast substitutions, there are a few of things to consider. First, you do not have to substitute the yeast. EC-1118 does not make an inferior wine by itself, and your wine will turn out fine if you use it. It is a very reliable yeast straing, which is why it is almost ubiquitous in wine kits. Second, how much experience do you have with winemaking and other yeasts besides EC-1118? Some yeast strains start slowly, so produce high amounts of foam, some can become stuck more easily than others, and some require high amounts of nutrients. And third, you have to consider what you are looking to do with the wine and what you have access to, as well.

This isn't to discourage anyone, but you do want to make an informed decision. If you don't have much experience or are not able to give the fermentation the care and attention it will need, I would advise against it. You also have to consider what strains you have access to.

It must be a nice tasteful combination.....need to get me a commercial bottle to give it a try..

I recommend trying it! One the best commercial blends I have tried was a 60% Syrah/40% Grenache blend from the Southern Rhone. The funny thing about the wine was that it had to be sold under the 'Vin de Pays' designation because the Syrah grapes literally grew on the wrong side of the fence and technically out of the AOC geographic zone.

Grenache (at least in southern France) usually isn't able to stand up well on its own. It's light in color for a red, can be high in alcohol, and lacks tannins. Perfect varietal for blending, though.

Thank you all for replying to my question . Today I was shopping around locally and decided to go with this one :
From the Wyeast site :

Product Information
Technical Information

YEAST STRAIN: 4267 | Bordeaux™

Back to Yeast Strain List

Produces distinctive intense berry, graham cracker nose. Jammy, rich, very smooth complex profile, slightly vinous. Well suited to higher sugar content musts.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-low
Attenuation: NA
Temperature Range: 60-90°F, 15-32°C
Alcohol Tolerance: 14% ABV

IMG_20140129_191452.jpg

WTF !!!
I started this kit and everything was normal in the primary bucket . After 9 days the sg was at 0.997 and I transferred the wine into the secondary carboy . That is when I noticed the red wine was a rose color
This is not my first kit and I did not had this problem before .
Could someone tell me what made the color change ?
Thank you ,

IMG_20140218_223745.jpg

WTF !!!
I started this kit and everything was normal in the primary bucket . After 9 days the sg was at 0.997 and I transferred the wine into the secondary carboy . That is when I noticed the red wine was a rose color
This is not my first kit and I did not had this problem before .
Could someone tell me what made the color change ?
Thank you ,

Do you have a picture of the wine in the primary fermenter? It looks like there is a lot of sediment in suspension, which will affect how you perceive the color until it settles out.

Latest posts

Back